My longnose hawk wont eat

r2d2

Hi all, I need some advise with this little guy. Its been a week with me. I saw him eat dry food at LFS, pellets. But during this week he does seem interested in food but wont eat at all. Ive tried dry food and freeze dried mysis. Tomorrow I'll look for some frozen mysis andd try.

Any suggestion?

Greetings

Gill Roy

I know they have no real nutritional value however I know most fish can't resist LIVE brine shrimp.
May stimulate him into trying other more nutritious foods in the long run.

DaveK

Keep in mind that hawks are predators, and can eat a lot at one time, and then not eat for days. Also, the fish is new and likely still getting used to your tank. Give him a chance. If you can get it, I agree with the prior post, try live brine shrimp. I would also go to your local seafood market and get a clam, a shrimp, crab meat, and clams, all fresh, and uncooked, chop them up very fine and try those.

r2d2

What about small, live, fresh water shrimps? I guess as soon as I intruduce them to SW they will die but, will it work?

DaveK

They may work, but they can only live a few minutes in SW, so only feed a few at a time, and remove anything not eaten.

klok95330

Throw in a few small guppies. They love live food! At least mine does. If hes new, give him a day or so to get used to the tank and water parameters and dont be worried about him not eating its normal. But after a day or so he should, if hes not then be worried. Try some live foods though, they are predators and they will go after them. Mine does all the time.