My light.

fitzpoppa

I got a light from a guy who bought a new light. It has a marine bulb in it. the type i don't know. Its super bright and super blue. Does this seem right. I'm hoping to get something better down the road. I guess my question is, will it be ok for now to just run this.

Light.jpg

zoidberg

depends, are you going to keep corals of any kind? What size tank? Do you know how many watts the bulb is?

fitzpoppa

No corals, the other info I'll have to find out. Corals will be way down the road. I know i need a special light for them.

zoidberg

the light should be fine. Just keep in mind, when you do corals you will have to look at the watts per gallon, the type of light such as compact, t5 or MH.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
the light should be fine. Just keep in mind, when you do corals you will have to look at the watts per gallon, the type of light such as compact, t5 or MH.

zoidberg with all due respect the WPG rule is very antiquated with today's technology. It was "Ok" back in the VHO day when that was the only real choice.

Let's do some examples:
  • 70w Metal Halide over a 34g tank (RSM 130D) approx 2.06 WPG and a CRAP LOAD of high intensity lighting.
  • 130w PC bulbs over 10g frag tank . That tank had over 13 WPG and even with that I could not keep a Seabae anemone alive or any SPS coral. I had a lot of WPG but it was all PC.

It's like this.. if you was landing a jet on a runway at night ... would you rather have a few extremely bright lights shining on the runway or 1000 birthday candles? LOL! I'm being overly sarcastic but at the same time it puts things into a more realistic perspective for us.

On my 12g NanoCube I'm only running 36W total but they are 3w LED and pushing a TON of light energy into the tank.

zoidberg I wasn't picking on you by any stretch of the imagination I just don't want you getting bit by the WPG bug like some of the rest of us have.