My Light is too bright, opinions welcome...

EricTheRed

Hello all,

Up until recently, I had a 36" PC light w/ a 96w 10K daylight and 96w 460nm actinic that went over my 90g tank. 2 days ago, I scored a sweet deal on a Current 48" 8 bulb T5 (4-54w 10k daylights and 4-54w 460nm actinics). I have shrooms, xenia, a colt, some polyps, zoas, favia, candy canes, a torch, a toadstool, a hammer, and a frogspawn. Obviously I had to stay away from SPS's. Everything was doing okay. Now that I have the new light, my shrooms do not open up as much, and the colt and xenias (which still open and pulse well) don't extend as much and stay more compact.

Question 1: Is this normal and is it possible for some corals to get too much light? (I don't want to hurt them.)

Question 2: There is A LOT of white light going on and I wanted to calm things down a bit so I'm thinking about replacing one or more daylight bulbs with actinics. I was thinking about swapping a 10k for a 420nm. Here's the real question...does anyone have any suggestions regarding how many days vs. actinics I can/should have if I want to get into SPS's? (i.e. 3- 10k's and 4- 460nm's with 1 420nm. Or maybe only 2 10k's and the other 8 actinic...?) I'm concerned about reducing my daylights too much and not having enough for the SPS's. Your humble opinions are greatly appreciated.

Midnight

1. yes the light could be to strong you need to let them get use to it so move it up high or get some screen to put over the tank to dim it a little.
2. I run three day lights two true antics and one mid day on my six bulb t5HO

GlassMunky

I bet they are just adjusting to the new lights. did you slowly change to the new lights? I'd have shortened the photo period and slowly bring it back to your full day. give them a little while and i bet they go back to normall.

+1. Going from pc's to an 8 bulb t5 is pretty drastic. Just like everything else, you must acclimate the tank to the new light source.