my gbta is in trouble!

Chillbilly

This is my first anemone, green E quadricolor. The tank inhabitants are a starry blenny, six-line wrasse, 2 true percs, 2 peppermint shrimp recently added. The tank (20 gallon) stays at a constant 78 degrees, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all 0, 2 65 watt PC bulbs, 1 50/50 super actinic/actinic white 1 10k bulb. The tank is a year and a half old. I do a 5 gallon water change weekly. I bought the anemone in December of 2012 and it has been in a steady decline since February. It was eating every 3 days to a week, frozen krill or mysis shrimp but now it refuses to eat. At first I noticed the tentacles looked like they were having the tips nibbled off and they were shrinking, then it started to deflate more often and for longer times. For the past few days it deflates for the majority of the day and puffs up and looks better at night. It does excrete a brown slime when it deflates. The following pictures are from past to present. I would really appreciate any help. I am leaning more towards not enough light but want confirmation. I watch the tank for extended periods of time and do not notice anything bothering it except for the clown coming over to play in it a little.

chillbilly-albums-anemone-picture24552-resizedimage951365645725699.jpg

chillbilly-albums-anemone-picture24553-img-20130328-112930.jpg

chillbilly-albums-anemone-picture24554-img-20130410-205012.jpg

theplantman

My guess would be not enough light, PC's typically do not have enough power to provide the light an anemone needs. Best bet is to get your hands on a par meter an see what the light reading is where the anemone is located. Typically it takes a strong bank of T5's or better yet a good LED or Metal halide to provide enough light for an anemone. Is it still eating and how often do you feed it?

Chillbilly

I have been trying to feed the nem every day. I'll pile up about 1/4 cube of mysis shrimp on the disk and cover it with the plastic cover to make sure it can eat without being bothered. It starts shifting and collecting the shrimp over its mouth, and the mouth opens, but it doesn't close up around the food. Looks like it's rejecting the food. I am researching a new lighting solution, 2 ocreef cree led par38, or an ocreef 24 led retrofit kit. Leaning more towards the 2 par38 in case I decide to upgrade my tank I can just buy another bulb. Thank you for the help, just needed a confirmation as to what the problem is before I drop 200+ dollars.

rufus2008

Try offering it small peices of raw cut up shrimp (human consumption kind). Had it been moving up your rockwork to get to the light or staying put? Usually if there's not enough light they will move to the top of your tank to get closer to what lighting you have. It does look pretty sad in the last photo though.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
With an anenome, stability if the tank and strong lighting are essential. You've stated that your tank is quite stable but with it only being 20 gallons, that statement could be relative. I'm quite certain that your lighting is the issue. Any anenome dies over time from a lack of light and that seems to be the case here. If his mouth begins to look like it is gaping then remove if before it pollutes the tank. I'd upgrade the lights if you plan to keep another nem in the future.

Chillbilly

He has never moved from that rock, which is why I have not been thinking it is the light. The tank itself is 20 gallons, but I have a sump underneath that adds some water volume. I will try some raw shrimp and I am buying a LED retrofit kit tonight or tomorrow. I am hoping I can get it running soon enough and get him acclimated to the new light before it's too late.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What kind of LEDs you looking at? He still has color which is a positive sign but I would hold off on feeding him until he shows signs of improvement.

Chillbilly

I think I am going to go with a retrofit kit from steves leds. Luxeon ES 3 watt 14 royal blue and 14 neutral white.

Chillbilly

Just an update. He ate for the first time a small piece of shrimp. He has lost all his stickiness but putting it directly in his mouth helped a lot. I ended up going with ecoxotic panorama led. What a huge difference, even at 50% power.

edit: and by in I meant on his mouth

Last edited:
My GBTA has deflated seems ok some of the time then deflates he is right in the bottom corner params are all ok I have strong LED lighting he moved around a little but to me he isn't in the best position for lighting. Im sat wondering if he will ever move or will he stay forever in a dimly lit corner? They really are strange creatures though. BTW its only his 2nd day in my tank so perhaps im being over cautious with him. I gave him a bit of mussel last night that he took. Any info or keeping these Anemones will be most welcome thanks.

Ok now 22.00 and panic over he's fine, opened up again and moved around again. Have to say they are truly beautiful creatures but also very strange. When he hangs like he did he looked lifeless but now open in all his glory.

Last edited: