my friend's aquarium puts me to shame :(

rDr4g0n

on my recent trip to El Cielo in mexico, i met another reefer. the whole trip i was concerned about my lionfish and my tank, and he was concerned about a newly added crotia. so we would tell each other that our fish or clam is already dead anyways just to irritate each other lol. my wife kept saying we were "making out" because once we started talking reefs there was no stopping us.

so today i got to see his tank. hes got a good 2 year head start on me, and holy crap its gorgeous!!! its a 47 gallon bowfront. now heres where it gets odd. he breaks MANY reefing rules. his calcium is at 900!! (not on purpose, but he just hasnt bothered to measure alkalinity and try to lower it) he has 192watts of compact flourescent lighting, with 2 crotias that seem to be flourishing. one has been in his tank for a while. he has quite a few corals too. There is a xenia that is touching a bubble coral, and there is no damage or withdrawal (i thought bubble coral was really aggressive?). he has no sump, no fuge, and no skimmer, just a HOB filter. his trates, trites, and ammonia are 0 all the time. he has about 70 - 80 lbs of LR which may account for his high water quality.

hes currently got a watchman goby, a six line wrasse, and some sort of blennie. all of his corals and fish look healthy and have been growing and multiplying over the past few years. oh and he has a bubble algae problem. anyways, heres pics of his system and corals.

fulltank.jpg

fulltank2.jpg

star polyps
star-polyps.jpg

open brain
openbrain.jpg

foreground - flower pot, middle - mushroom, back - candycane
mushies.jpg

flowerpot
flowerpot.jpg

crotia
crotia.jpg

candycane
candycane.jpg

button polyps
button-polyps.jpg

bubble coral
bubble-coral.jpg

pulsing xenias (these guys reproduce like crazy in his tank)
xenia.jpg

torch
torch.jpg

he interested in selling or trading some frags of pulsing xenias and button polyps.

boozeman

nice :thumbup:
it never ceases to amaze me how beautifull reef tanks are in other parts of the world...whatever you do, don't go looking at Italian reef tanks...it will depress ya!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
John, nice pics! Ive got the canon s40 have to try that setting. his bubble algae is probably whats keeping the trates down, I just read that they hold concentrations of nitrate 500 times tank levels

rDr4g0n

besides the great pics, does anyone have any opinion on the fact that this tank appears to be thriving while breaking many reef conventions?

Stevenmi

well...no sump...ok, no skimmer...ok, low lights...ok, but the ultra high calcium of 900 I have a very very hard time with.

It would go against everything we all have known to be true. Please get some new complete test results for us...ph/alk/calc....so we can all discuss.

Steve

Personally I don't think that it puts your tank to shame at all its a nice tank and all but for 2 years exp. Its not all that.... Im not trying to shoot this tank down I just have a feeling that in 2 years you will be laughing at this thread...

rDr4gon you have come a long way in a really short time and like I said just wait 2 years and see who's out doing who.

rDr4g0n

Personally I don't think that it puts your tank to shame at all its a nice tank and all but for 2 years exp. Its not all that.... Im not trying to shoot this tank down I just have a feeling that in 2 years you will be laughing at this thread...

rDr4gon you have come a long way in a really short time and like I said just wait 2 years and see who's out doing who.

lol thanks for the compliments. im sure ill catch up soon enough, but seeing such a nice softie tank, then coming home to my display which is mostly just LR, it looks so... dead. im working on it though!!!

as for his levels, he just has a calcium test kit no phos or alk. he says its consistantly at 900. perhaps hes measuring it incorrectly or has a faulty test kit.

one small thingy that i just dont understand is why the bubble coral in the lower left corner is not stinging the crap outta his xenia.

I dont think his alk would be at all ok with calcium at 900 my guess would be faulty test kit

Ive only been reefing for a little over 2 years and look at my skimmerless reef and I'm dissapointed with it overall
there are people out there that tanks blow mine away after 2years exp.