my first tank

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

@cindykz

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

cindykz

Thank you! I am still in the research phase. My stand should be done by the end of May and I've started to slowly buy equipment. I hope to begin setup mid June.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Shawntay

it has been quite sometime since I have posted about my tank. I kept saying I was gonna get my cleaner crew but since I was so confused about my water readings I decided to talk to my LFS. They have done water tests and made suggestions and then I went on vacation. I figured I didn't want to put anything in the tank and then be gone for 5 days and come home to a mess (water, dead fish, dead corals, etc). So here I am trying to figure out what to do now. I had lights on in the tank and then algae started to grow. LFS said turn the lights out so I haven't seen any algae in a while but I think I want to get something to manage the algae since I do plan to turn the lights on eventually. I want to get a soft coral or a fish.. I'm so afraid to make any decisions since I had so much trouble with my tank before trying to cycle and i'm worried about "the wrong choice". I know this hobby is all about trial and error so I need to just jump in to the fire (so to speak). Any body still following my threat got any ideas or advice. thanks. I'll post a new picture soon but after I do something cause right now it looks exactly like my last tank picture post. lol.

Oxylebius

Did your tank have a complete cycle, similar to what Glenn posted in #11 on page 1 of your thread?

If so, and if your nitrates have come down, then it is time to turn on the lights and add CUC.

My advise is to get a mix of snails and to start off with a few. As you get more algae growing then add more snails. My suggestion: Cerith Snail (Cerithium sp.), Astraea Turbo Snail (Astraea tecta), Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.), Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.).

If you are inclined to have crabs in the tank, then an emerald crab and two species of small hermit crabs can work out as well: Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Paguristes cadenati), Electric Blue Hermit Crab (Calcinus elegans).

Once you get these guys going on the algae, then you can turn your attn to what fish and corals you want to get. Have any ideas yet? I wouldn't just buy what you see in your LFS or online, but instead do some research on the species you want to make sure that all fish are compatible with each other, with the corals you want to get, and with the CUC.

Shawntay

Did your tank have a complete cycle, similar to what Glenn posted in #11 on page 1 of your thread?

If so, and if your nitrates have come down, then it is time to turn on the lights and add CUC.

My advise is to get a mix of snails and to start off with a few. As you get more algae growing then add more snails. My suggestion: Cerith Snail (Cerithium sp.), Astraea Turbo Snail (Astraea tecta), Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.), Nerite Snail (Nerita sp.).

If you are inclined to have crabs in the tank, then an emerald crab and two species of small hermit crabs can work out as well: Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Paguristes cadenati), Electric Blue Hermit Crab (Calcinus elegans).

Once you get these guys going on the algae, then you can turn your attn to what fish and corals you want to get. Have any ideas yet? I wouldn't just buy what you see in your LFS or online, but instead do some research on the species you want to make sure that all fish are compatible with each other, with the corals you want to get, and with the CUC.

I believe I cycled before the LFS got involved. The guy at the store said it looked like it did. I don't have any Nitrites and my last Nitrates look like now. I posted a pic of my test strip from today. I haven't really thought too hard about what I want to populate the tank with. I do know at least two designer clowns and hopefully one day a good anemone. But overall I'd just like the tank to "grow and thrive". I'm not picky I just want the experience of building the tank.

22421b85c63915e996b7a3ec70c27284.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk