My first Saltwater Tank w/ Pics

jcgardner

imo stand for in my opinion. I can't help with lighting questions I am a T5 kind of girl, haven't used MH because of heat issues. I live in Arizona and during the summer I find it difficult to maintain water temp with just the T5's and I don't want to shell out the money for a chiller.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Should I incorporate my standard 2X24" T8 standard florescent bulbs? If so what bulbs should I use with the MH? Also, what is the best 14000k MH Bulb?

I don't think you'll get any real "Punch" from the T8's. They are slightly stronger than T12's but really not "Standard" and hard to find "Coral" bulbs in the T8's.

As far as BEST MH bulb ask 10 people and you're get 12 different answers. Phoenix is a very popular one. I'm running AquaMaxx and like them a LOT!! I don't know who all makes a 175W bulb since I only have 150w DE.

Reef Wall

imo stand for in my opinion. I can't help with lighting questions I am a T5 kind of girl, haven't used MH because of heat issues. I live in Arizona and during the summer I find it difficult to maintain water temp with just the T5's and I don't want to shell out the money for a chiller.

jc, thanks, I am also a little worried about the heat. I plan on seeing what happens with my tank. I've talked to some people whose temp only rises about 2-3 degrees after adding MH. I keep it pretty chilly in my house and my heater in the tank runs pretty constant. If there is a problem I can fashion a DIY chiller from a small fridge until I can purchase a real one.

Reef Wall

Thanks for the input BigAl,

Have you had a chance to real this full thread? I would appreciate any and all your advice.

Reef Wall

I will have to make a new hood in order to accommodate the overflow. This means I will have to remove my current in hood filter and bio wheel.

What do I need to make sure of before I loose my current filter set up and go with only live rock and a protein skimmer. (besides enough live rock)

Can I do this now without 50 lbs. of live rock and just complete bi-weekly water changes?

Just wanted to ask again before I take my charcoal and biowheel out of my tank.

Reef Wall

Here is a recent picture of my tank.. I just added 20lb. of base rock I am seeding for live rock. You can see the base rock is bright white right now. If you look closely t the bottom of the tank. You can see some old base rock that is now live with corraline algae.

IMG_0054.jpg

I have also added a leather coral and a yellow clown goby. The goby has found an attachment to the leather.

Reef Wall

My wife just surprised me with two new false percs! I think she bought a mated pair. Look at the picks to see what you think.

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Reef Wall

OK, it has been a long time since my last post. I have made some upgrades to my tank since then. I have added a Coralife 65 protein skimmer, a 175W 14,000k Metal halide, and did away with the eclipse hood. I am now operating with a 100% pure Berlin system. No bio balls and no carbon. The protein skimmer is hanging on the side of the tank for now but I plan on adding a sump later. I will post some pictures this afternoon.

fishhead

Seems that your skimmer will be your weak link in the end(kind of small), and you should put it in the sump too. I like the look of your tank and how you are starting out slow and proper.

Reef Wall

Here is what is in my tank now.....

32 Gallon Glass Aquarium
25-30 Lbs. Live Rock
Live Sand
175W Metal Halide 14000k
Coralife 65 protein skimmer
Maxijet 1200
Hydor Koralia Powerhead

2 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Nassarius Snails
1 Turbo Snail
1 Sand Sifting Starfish

Assorted Mushrooms
Green Star Polyps
Duncan
Feather Duster
Tree Coral
Button Polyps
Watermelon Zoas

1 Maroon Clown
1 Green Chromis
1 Firefish
1 Banggai Cardinalfish

Any Suggestions on additions?

I am minutes away from posting pictures..

I am not very happy with my light. The 14000k bulb is not as blue as I expected It to be. I think I want to either use a different brand or bump up to a 20000k bulb. Any suggestions?

Reef Wall

Fishhead, I will be putting my skimmer in the sump eventually. I just need to set it up. I thought I need to go ahead and start running it for now though. The tank is only 32 Gal I believe, and the skimmer is rated for 65 Gal. should I still upgrade? I will eventually get a much larger tank, and a much larger skimmer.