My First Quarantine Tank

goldenmean

This morning I went to see how Durante is doing.
I turned on the light and he came up like he does to feed.
I thawed a cube of mysis and offered him some. He just watched it float to the bottom. He was not breathing any different than yesterday.

Even thought the test of the water parameters did not call for it I did a 50% WC. When I came back with the WC equipement he was on the bottom with the mysis but I don't know if he ate one or not. I did not see it.

There was poop on the bottom as yesterday and it looked normal.
I clean that up daily.

BarbMazz

I don't have any, but I sure wish I did! I've been sending good vibes your way, Jeff. I've been hoping Lee would throw her .02 in.

Your kitties don't have a way to dip their paws when you're not home?

goldenmean

Thanks Barb!
No the cats have not been bothering the LN at all.
I thinks they were mesmerized by the yellow eel like movements of the Midas Blenny.

BarbMazz

Okay... since the thing you've noticed is heavier breathing.. can there be something going on with the oxygen level in the tank? I'm just throwing anything I can think of out there!

I looked at all the pictures you've posted to compare and I don't believe I see anything different in the latest ones.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Jeff, when I had my LNHF in QT I would feed him small pieces of raw deli shrimp on the end of a wooden skewer that I could wave around in the water. I have noticed that they are visual feeders and tend to go for foods that move. So food laying on the bottom does not appeal to them. Do you have a small PH in the tank to get the food moving and keep it in the water column?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Humm... When my fish in QT stop eating it is usually due to medications I may be using. I don't think you're medicating so the lack of appetite could be from a stressor... keep a close eye on PH and be sure it is not getting too low (below 7.9). With all the water changes you're doing I would think the water is perfect. Make sure you're matching the temp and salinity...
I suppose he could be bored of the mysis? Try switching to a different food. Also, soak all foods in garlic which will stimulate his appetite.
You should deworm him once he is eating again. I used prazipro.
Also, try doing a large water change which normally perks up the appetite.

As always, keep a close eye on the ph, salinity, and temp. Keep them as constant as possible.

After acclimation is complete, I always try to keep the lighting schedule constant. You may want to use a timer to have them come off/on at the same time daily.

HTH~ :)

goldenmean

Barb.
I have an air stone going in the QT. plus my PH and alk levels are good so I dont think that is the problem.

Scott I have seen that with my guy too but what he misses in the water column he will go pick up off the bottom after he realizes no fresh mysis is going to fall from the sky. This morning he went right up the the mysis at I added it to the tank and he treated it like it was pellets. He had no interest.

goldenmean

Thanks Doni.

I didnt test PH this am but it was 8.1 yesterday. You are right I am not medicating at all. Temp is a stable 77.5-78.5 WC water is always 77.5 and at the proper SG.

Bored with the mysis? could be. I did kind of get that impression from him this morning. But He has always done cartwheels for the mysis.
Maybe he is holding out for some more squid.

I'll try soaking in garlic. That always works for my appetite!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Another thing you can do is get some vita-chem and selcon. Alternate using these when feeding. They not only provide important nutrition to the fish but I also think the smell entices feeding. Just put a few drops on the food several minutes prior to feeding.

lcstorc

Oh no! You are doing everything right and still having problems. That totally stinks. I agree with Doni on the soaking the food in garlic. That often stimulates a fish to eat. I would also keep trying a variety of foods and see if perhaps he likes something different. I really like Scott's idea about making the food move.
The other thing I would explore is the natural habits and habitat of the fish. I know when my BSJF stopped eating it was because he didn't have the proper material to build his home with. Kind of a long shot but since it worked with my blue I would say it is worth a try. I know nothing about hawkfish so I don't know what their natural habitat is like. Can you steal some pods from the display? Maybe the moving pods will entice him to eat.
That's all I can come up with now but I'll do some searches and see if I can find anything that might be helpful.

goldenmean

Durante is not doing well.
When I got home and turned the light on he did not come and greet me.
He was perched on the same plant the same way he was when I left.
I soaked some mysis and some squid in garlic and tried to feed. He had moved to another spot but he was not interested at all. I put a piece of squid on a skewer and tried to tempt. but no response.

His breathing seems a bit rapid - I think- but it is no more so than yesterday.
I think I see some redness. I thought maybe I could see it yesterday but i didnt know if that was normal. It seems more red today. I took a pic and circled the area around the gill.

Attachments

• Durante4.jpg
    Durante4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 29

leebca

I didn't jump in before, because Woodstock covered the response I would have given.

There is something stressing the fish. The redness you have indicated could be a part of it, all of it, or none of it.

Fish have an inflammation response similar to that of most mammals. The redness could be from injury and subsequent infection, or just injury, or just infection.

Worth a try would be a 5-day treatment with Maracyn Two for Saltwater fish. It has an appetite stimulant in it which has mixed results along with the benefit of handling internal/systemic infections. Double the initial dosage as to what is recommended on the package. Start this treatment as soon as you can.

Beyond this, I would just hope the fish can handle the matter.

goldenmean

Thank you Lee.
I read your post about 5 minutes before Petsmart closes. I see from their website that they carry Maracyn two for saltwater. Petco only had the fresh water version. I will be late for work tomorrow. I plan on being at the LFS at 9am when they open then I will come home and start treatment.

I have read Lee's stocking of the Marine Fish medicine cabinet before I set up my QT. Of corse I did not follow that stickeys advice. I think I did not believe I would have any problems. My fish would spend 6 weeks in QT with no problems and off to the DT they would go.

goldenmean

Poor Durante is breathing harder this morning
and the redness is more noticable around the gills and also the pectoral fins.
Right now I am just waiting for Petsmart to open in about an hour so I can get the Maracyn Two.

lcstorc

Good luck. I will send my good wishes to him and you and I'll say a Medicine Buddha Puja for him tonight when I get home.
I am going to take this as a lesson and be sure to stock my medicine cabinet this weekend. You never know what could happen when and I got complacent since my new LFS is open 7 days a week. You have shown that in some cases hours can make a difference.
Please keep us updated.

leebca

Lynn,

Your perspective is basically well founded, however don't forget the other side of this 'stocking coin.' These meds have a shelf life. Not knowing for sure how long the LFS had it is part of the problem. Some meds are date marked and the buyer needs to be aware of this.

I would stock my medicine cabinet as I have recommended because I have a lot of fish going through QT AND my local LFS doesn't carry some of these items. The meds are used or turned over as they expire. I'm suggesting that you want to stock the cabinet with things the LFS doesn't carry or things which can't be obtained within a day from an LFS open 7 days a week.

leebca

I'm (pleasantly) surprised to hear that Petsmart carries the Maracyn Two. Most complaints I get is that the chain pet stores don't carry this important fish antibiotic.

lcstorc

For the most part I am done with additions except for my seahorses. I will be sure to stock up before they come home and be sure to look at any/all expiration and packaging dates.
Thanks as always for the tips.