My First Quarantine Tank

goldenmean

My 55g tank has been up and running for 4 months now and I am preparing to add fish to the tank
So far here is my fishy wish list (Gutter guard first!)
Longnose Hawkfish
flasher/fairy wrasse (of some sort) did you guys and gals see the Scott's Wrasse that Prow just got?? WOW
Rainsford Goby
Midas Blenny
Im still open to other suggestions????

So the real subject of this post is quarantine tanks.
I did not do a QT tank with my nano and I have been lucky
I have a lot more $$$ in this tank ( and the nano wasn't cheap) and the fish I want are going to be a bit pricey so it only makes sense to use a QT.

I read leebca sticky http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html and the Steven Pro article she links
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Great information.
I was not clear on what a sponge filter was so I went to some retail sites and did some research. Simple and cheap!! This is the simple sponge filter Like what Leebca talks about in her quarantine articleFoam Aquarium Filters: Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 2
Add and air pump and air hose and you have your sponge filter.

I stop by petco to look for some sponge filters. I wanted to get the filter system so I could get the sponge into my sump and start getting it seeded with that good bacteria. Petco did not have any sponge filters like I saw online - just the power filters. I thought I would check out the glass tanks while I was there.
They had the aquarium kits on sale. I bought the AGA 10 gal starter kit for $30.
It includes the 10g tank, 2x15w incandescent light hood, and a Whisper 10 power filter (and some useless crap). Just enough light so the fish can see their food.

I am thinking I could use the power filter if I did not use the filter cartridge (unless I need to remove medication.) It came with a thin piece of filter floss and then I bought a small Bio filter pad. Both of which I put it my sump to seed with bacteria. In 4-6 weeks they should be sufficiently colonized with bacteria to get the QT running.
The bio filter pad is only about an inch by 2 inches.
Is that big enough do the job for this QT or should I add another sponge/filter pad? there is enough room in the filter box I think.

Or should I just forget the power filter and get the sponge filter and air pump?

I plan on covering the band and both sides of the tank.
Add some PVC pipe segments and some plastic plants.

Any other suggestions or tricks on the running a QT would be greatly appreciated?

Techno-Vicki

I am frequently frustrated with my QT tank. I try to do it simple and cheep and I think I am fooling myself. Then again, I am sure others have better methods.

I need to do a water change on my QT every week (at least 30%) or it is a problem. Because it is such a small tank, the built-in filtration is bad so I use filter pads (but I feel that a simple good protien skimmer would be better), bottom line, I need the QT a lot, and I would not do with out it, but I do get frustrated with its limitations and needs.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
karma to you for planning on using a QT !! Excellent! :thumbup:

I have never liked the Whisper filters because their media is so thin. I prefer an Aquaclear hang on powerfilter because it has a much larger media area along with good water flow.

The Aquaclear allows for three layers of your choice of media. Inside my Aquaclear hanging on my QT are three thick sponges. These sponges are large and thick allowing for lots of surface area for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize. Once medication is complete, I remove the last sponge and replace with carbon or a polyfilter to clean the water.

Depending on the type of cover over your tank, you may want to forego using an air driven sponge filter because of the huge amount of saltcreep they create where the bubbles pop.

My vote is for an aquaclear hang on powerfilter :)

Plan on cycling your QT thoroughly before adding any fish! Check out the link in my sig "Lifesaving QT" for how I cycled and set up mine.

goldenmean

Thanks Vicki!
Do you test daily for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and at over what level do you do a WC?

Thanks you too Doni.
I had read your thread a couple of times and I just read it again.
I really liked your Citron Goby and the Picassos. The Citron just might make my fishy wishy list.

I liked the way you glued the pvc segments. I would not have thought of that.

I understand what you are saying about the whisper powerfilter.
I was concerned if I added a second sponge into the chamber that there would not be enough water flow to be effective. When I buy an Aquaclear should I get a unit rated for a larger tank than my 10g? say a Aquaclear 30 or 50?

My other question is about cycling the tank with ammonia as you did.
Is there any special type that you get or any type that I must stay away from? Or is all ammonia created the same? Then how much would you use to start the cycle in a 10g tank? a capful? 1/4 cup? a capful every 2 or 3 days?
I think I remember a conversation between you and Leebca about using fish food along with ammonia?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks you too Doni.
I had read your thread a couple of times and I just read it again.
I really liked your Citron Goby and the Picassos. The Citron just might make my fishy wishy list.

I liked the way you glued the pvc segments. I would not have thought of that.

I didn't want any pieces to shift and possibly injure a fish. Especially during a water change when I can be a bit clumsy :)

goldenmean said:
I understand what you are saying about the whisper powerfilter.
I was concerned if I added a second sponge into the chamber that there would not be enough water flow to be effective. When I buy an Aquaclear should I get a unit rated for a larger tank than my 10g? say a Aquaclear 30 or 50?

No. I would get an Aquaclear rated for your sized tank. In a QT, you do not want too strong of flow.

goldenmean said:
My other question is about cycling the tank with ammonia as you did.
Is there any special type that you get or any type that I must stay away from? Or is all ammonia created the same? Then how much would you use to start the cycle in a 10g tank? a capful? 1/4 cup? a capful every 2 or 3 days?
I think I remember a conversation between you and Leebca about using fish food along with ammonia?

Use pure ammonia with no additives. You only need a few drops. Per Lee's suggestion, I added a chunk of homemade mush once a week to feed the organic-eating bacteria :)

Here is the original link I gathered my info from: seahorse.org - Cycling a Marine Tank
It has very detailed instructions on how to cycle with the ammonia method.
I will ALWAYS cycle a tank that way. One of my worst fears is having an ammonia and/or nitrite spike in a QT and killing the fish. With this method, I did not have an ammonia or nitrite spike at all even during the cupramine or deworming treatments!!
And yes, I tested twice a day in the beginning and during all treatments. Now that all the treatments have been completed, I only test once a day.
A QT once cycled is a wonderful thing to have. A QT not properly cycled is a deadly dungeon. Take your time and cycle it thoroughly.

goldenmean

Again Thank you Doni.
That link is awesome. Cycling with ammonia here I come. I liked the suggestion of raising the temp to the mid 80s as being possibly being beneficial to helping the bacteria multiply more rapidly. Then you lower the temp before you add livestock.

I am going to get an AquaClear HOB filter this weekend and get the sponges into my sump. Then In early January I should be ready to cycle the QT.

A couple of days ago I was pretty confused about the QT process and thanks the RS I think I know what to do.

Any other tips, thoughts, and suggestions are always welcome.

leebca

Using the simple corner sponge filter not only provides a biological filter, but keeps the surface water moving with the rising large bubbles. There are no intake tubes or anything to interfere with the fish. My local LFSs all carry them, so get one online if you can't find it.

Starting a biological filter with ammonia is a bit misleading. The entire microbe array needs more than just ammonia, it needs other proteins. You can use ammonia but also be sure to add food to the tank. Still the best guarantee is to let it run in an established aquarium.

Good luck! Congratulations on using the QT and planning the project so well.

goldenmean

I am really grateful for the advice Lee!!

I went to Petco (Ugh) and was looking at the Aquaclear 20 powerfilter. $28. Almost what i paid for the whole starter aquarium kit.
I had it in my hands and then i heard Lee's post in my head. Corner filter
So I go home empty handed and get online.

I check a few of RS sponsors and can not find one. I dont even know what it is really so I google corner filter. I find this The Aquarium Corner Filter I figured that I was not the only one not familiar with this low tech piece of equipment.

I could not find a RS sponsor that carried them and I do not like to order from just any retailer. Fro the google search I see Big Al's has them. I have heard some RSers talking nice about Big Als so I place an order.
corner filter, air pump and hose, heater, test kit, tank background, and a couple plastic plants. Now All I need is some PVC pipe segments

leebca

My pleasure. I'm not connected with them (in any way) but there is a product line known as "Lee's. . ." that still make the corner filter (at least my local LFSs have that brand).

goldenmean

I did find the Lee corner filter online and was wondering if there was a connection.

The corner filter will be delivered tomorrow along with the rest of the QT products.

goldenmean

The corner filter has been running with the air pump in my sump for 10 days now. I have some other sponge material that has been there for 2 weeks.
I have the QT set up next to the display tank. No water in it yet.
PVC pipes have not been glued together yet and Right now I have too much pvc in the QT. I will be taking some of that out for sure. The back and both sides have been covered.
Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• QTwFTS.jpg
    QTwFTS.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 381
  • QT.jpg
    QT.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 378

leebca

You might want to cut back on the number of pipes. The object is to give the fish a place to hide and feel secure, but not to totally get away from you. I'd leave one pipe in that 'fits' the size the fish.

I'd say things look good. Nice aquarium, BTW. :thumbup:

bluespotjawfish

Other items that I would suggest is to have a net just for the QT and also separate equipment for your water changes. It doesn't have to be fancy. I just cut off a piece of tubing and use a spare bucket that I already had around. Label them too.

goldenmean

Thanks Lorraine - that is a good idea.
For my nano WC I just use a 2 cup measuring cup and a large mixing bowl. I'll get new ones (different color) for the qt. The tank came with a new net.

Yesterday Diver's Den posted a Longnose hawkfish for the first time in the weeks that I have been watching closely. It was difficult not to buy him but my qt is just not ready yet. The sponges have only been in the sump for about 3 weeks.

BarbMazz

The corner filter has been running with the air pump in my sump for 10 days now. I have some other sponge material that has been there for 2 weeks.
I have the QT set up next to the display tank. No water in it yet.
PVC pipes have not been glued together yet and Right now I have too much pvc in the QT. I will be taking some of that out for sure. The back and both sides have been covered.
Here are a few pics.

I just bought my 10g kit (probably the same exact one!) yesterday!

So, you put the entire filter into your sump? Did the corner filter come with the sponges, or did you buy them separately?

And thanks for the pictures... it really helps me see what I need to do to setup.

goldenmean

No the corner filter did not come with a sponge. I bought an a little filter foam for a couple of bucks and cut it up to fit in the corner filter.

I do not planning on using the whisper power filter that came with the tank set up but I did put those filters in my sump too so incase of a problem I could quickly get the power filter running.

I am hoping to get the QT with water in it over this coming weekend.
I will post some pics of the corner filter and sponges in operation.

goldenmean

I put water in the QT today.
I did a WC on the display and put that water in the QT.
The sponges and the corner filter has been in my sump for just over 30 days.
I moved them into the QT and got them running.
The air pump cause some splashing in the hood and onto the lights so I cut a small piece of acrylic to cover just above where the filter is at. Then the hood is on top of that.
Added pvc, plastic plants, heater and thermometer

First pic show the corner box filter with an air pump running.
There is some extra sponge on to of the filter.

Attachments

• Corner-filter2.jpg
    Corner-filter2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 116
  • QT2.jpg
    QT2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 113

BarbMazz

Looks good, Jeff! I especially love the cheesy plastic plants you have in there! :makefun:

It's good to see what you've done; it will help when I set mine up, hopefully SOONer rather than LATer.

cracker

Looks good to me! Please let us know what the water parameters are in a few days. I using the "watch the deli shrimp melt" method to cycle my qt. Thanks!