My first corals

What's the source of the nitrates/phosphates?

I don't know, with everything I've done...I'm stumped. No one can seem to think of anything else to do. I guess I'll just not worry about it since my fish appear and act healthy. I'll just have to go with no corals until the nitrates drop.

I have roughly 65lbs of LR in the tank and another 4 in the fuge....I know I could use more.

I doubt the kit is bad...I tried it with test strips as well and nitrates were still high.

So no one has to start at the beginning of the thread again, here is what I've done....

Reduced feeding to 1/4 of what it was
30% water changes every other day for a week
Went back to every other week changes, each time accompanied with vacuuming
Changed my hang on filter into a hang on fuge with 4lbs LR and 1/4lb of macro
Added some blue leg hermits and nassarius snails

I can't think of anything else I've done but I'm sure there's more...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I do know that LR Rubble can trap detritus and create a Nitrate Factory. It's basically the same as Bio-Balls in that effect.

I do know that LR Rubble can trap detritus and create a Nitrate Factory. It's basically the same as Bio-Balls in that effect.

I was told that it is better because the outside of the rock contains nitrifying bacteria and the inside contains nitrafying bacteria.

Anyways...I went to the LFS this evening. The guy opened up a new API test kit and tested my water. The nitrates with his kit read 40 ppm, so not as bad. He also tested phosphates and said that it's about the equivalent of tap water. That suprised me, I though it would be high.

I'm in a better mood now that the nitrates aren't quite as high as I thought!

Jason25

Yes but it does mean that your livestock are in an unhealthy environment, I read this entire post and can not remember if you are using RO/DI water if not you definetly start using it from here on out and do a decent water change with it to start. Things will be better for you and your tank. Then you can stop worrying and start enjoying your little piece of the ocean.

biaxident

I would think you need at least a pound of LR per gallon. Maybe there's not enough to support the amount of bacteria needed to keep up your bio load. It's like putting a filter made for a 55 gal. on a 90 gal. It's over worked and it under performs. You need enough filtration for a 125+ gal on a 90 gal, IMHO. Your live rock IS your "filter".