My first 180gal sw live coral tank...Now to choose some fish...

sophie

Just wondering since I am new to the sw hobbie, if you could give me a few ideas on what sort of fish I can put in my 180gal sw tank.
I made the choice to go for a live coral tank even though I loved a few of the "not coral friendly" fish species.
After doing some research I have made a few choices although am not 100% sure on how they will all get on and how many fish I can actually keep in there without obviously overpopulating the tank.
Please feel free to add whatever comments may be beneficial to my tank.
Choices are:

Lipstick and Atlantic Blue tang ( 1 of each )
Clownfish
Yellowtail Wrasse
2 Cleaner Shrimp

I'm thinking that's about all I can fit in the tank as much as I'd love to have more fish it just wouldn't be practical.

Please give me any ideas to make this tank look fantastic.

Kind regards

sophie

Thank you. I have 80kg of live rock and a few different corals yet there is ample room for swimming. Wanted to know if the compatibility of these fish is ok without any aggression and what others would suit...ie maybe a school of something...suggestions would be appreciated.

Doogle

School of bangaai cardinals would be sweet. There are many others too if they aren't the type you like.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
You shouldn't have a problem as their body shapes and colors are different. You should add them at the same time and if thats not possible add the lipstick first because their less aggressive

dmatt88

Great start. I love the list. Get the fish one at a time, add a few choice coral and sit back n see what ur needing/wanting. Enjoy!

....... I'm Matt n im a reefaholic.

sophie

Thank you for the suggestions. I did have a look at the bangaai cardinals and I'm not 100% sold on them yet I do think a school of something would really look great in this tank.
I've been querying the Niger trigger, Crosshatch Trigger or the Bluechin Trigger as I was always under the assumption that triggers are not reef safe yet after doing a little more reading apparently these 3 are. Could any1 give me any insight on these? I also understand that I better keep the shrimp off my list if I decide on 1 of these.

I also have my eye on a nice Ultra Maxima Clam and Black Urchant....This hobby is getting pretty darn addictive and well this broke the bank balance ages ago lol...

sophie

Ok a little confused, Matt recommends adding fish 1 at a time...engineer goby says all together...Oh I'm getting a headache...This tank has taken over my life lmao.

dmatt88

One per month. As with triggers they r reef safe many times as kids. As adults it changes. I love the blue chin. Good luck as adults. They r awesome. But man they make a mess of stuff. Biting frags n moving whatever they want. One fish per month.

Rob? One fish per month. Just add the most docile first.

sophie

Ok, 1 fish per moth at a time. And as for the triggers, I luv them but am fearful of the tank...I have pegged some of the coral to the live rock but I still am not sure about the triggers...they are such a stunning fish though.

dmatt88

Yes they are. I own a pinktail yet as it ages I regret the purchase. Good luck with ur selection

sk8rdn

One per month. As with triggers they r reef safe many times as kids. As adults it changes. I love the blue chin. Good luck as adults. They r awesome. But man they make a mess of stuff. Biting frags n moving whatever they want. One fish per month.

Rob? One fish per month. Just add the most docile first.

Let me step in on Rob's behalf... he was referring to fish of the same body type that may not get along. For example, let say that a yellow tang and a purple tang will not get along. They have too close of the same body shape so they get very territorial. If one goes in before the other, then it becomes "his" tank and will kill #2 when that one is introduced. By introducing them at the same time, you lessen the chances of this happening. Key word is "lessen".... It still may not fly, but at least it isn't a "territorial" dispute...

sophie

Thank you so very much on the info. So I should put the tangs in together to lesson the territorial aggression between each other. I'm still guessing it is ok to put these together though? Last thing I would want is to put 2 fish in the tank and have 1 die just because I like the look of the 2 together.

sophie

Would any1 recommend a sailfin tang? I hear they are a little aggressive but again am new to the hobby so a little more assurance never comes astray...I guess I'm not putting too much trust in the person whom I am purchasing these off as sometimes I feel sales people are there to only make a sale... Sorry to ask so many questions.

engineer goby

I had a sailfin for 5 years and he never showed any aggression towards my other fish, now that's not saying that will be the case with you. The atlantic tang and sailfin have similar body types so there may be an issue there with aggression but your tank is very large so your odds are good. Buy them small and I would say you probably won't have any issues