My easy cheap mixing/storage area.

pablomay28

Here is a video of my mixing storage area. I got the shelving unit at home depot $80, not pictured WeMo switch (wifi power outlet) $40, mag 18 pump. I run 30' of 3/4 vinyl tube to my tank from the garage for the water changes.

saintsreturn

Very nice. Please do update how you end up doing the water change. I want to change mine up and have it run from the mixing bucket once I get one.

Question, why run two containers? Is there a downside to filling one container and then doing the mixing in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pablomay28

Very nice. Please do update how you end up doing the water change. I want to change mine up and have it run from the mixing bucket once I get one.

Question, why run two containers? Is there a downside to filling one container and then doing the mixing in there?

Will do. The reason for the 2 containers is that I also fill up my top off jug about twice a week. Also when I mix I can adjust the salinity up by adding salt and down by adding rodi water. I like having clean rodi water and extra salt water in case of emergency.

saintsreturn

Will do. The reason for the 2 containers is that I also fill up my top off jug about twice a week. Also when I mix I can adjust the salinity up by adding salt and down by adding rodi water. I like having clean rodi water and extra salt water in case of emergency.
Makes sense! Thanks for the details back. I guess I will go with two when I get mine :) I currently buy water because I only need 5 a week so it hasn't been worth mixing yet. On the new tank I will start mixing.

pablomay28

I would recommend you start getting your own RODI system. Never trust the LFS their salt will always be low. I have tested a few local ones here in San Diego and they have been low 1.021-1.022. If you have fish only I guess its not that bad. It is better to have control and mix the salt brand you want at the specific gravity you want. Do yourself a favor and test the specific gravity, Ca, Mg, Alk, and Phosphate. If they allow you to test the tds of their RODI check that too. You will see why many of us make our own plus you need to top off after evaporation to keep your salinity stable.

Last edited: