My DIY LED Lights

Cassette87

Wow. Great work. Glad there was an update or I might have missed this thread. Anxiously awaiting to see how this turns out. What is you goal for this? What type of tank do you plan on keeping?

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of competition out there for led systems so might be a great way to start a business.

Thanks! My goal is to develop an LED lighting system, initially simply a prototype for personal use that is much more affordable than the competition. If my prototype produces exceptional results, I will look into developing the system more and creating units for certian members here to beta test ... Al, i know you're going to say me me me... yes, i know.... you. :lol: If the concept of an entire lighting system does not prove to be effective, I am also working on "supplemental" LED systems, that would be able to retrofit into existing light fixtures to add that extra fluorescence or shimmer you may be looking for. You can check my chronicle to get an Idea of what i'm keeping, primarily softies, a couple LPS, my only SPS is a brown monit, which even though near the bottom half of the tank, is still growing under 130w of PC light mind you!
At any rate... expect to see some progress during the next week! :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
... Al, i know you're going to say me me me... yes, i know.... you. :lol: If the concept of an entire lighting system does not prove to be effective, I am also working on "supplemental" LED systems, that would be able to retrofit into existing light fixtures to add that extra fluorescence or shimmer you may be looking for. You can check my chronicle to get an Idea of what i'm keeping, primarily softies, a couple LPS, my only SPS is a brown monit, which even though near the bottom half of the tank, is still growing under 130w of PC light mind you!
At any rate... expect to see some progress during the next week! :)

I wasn't going to SAY that but since you mentioned it...

me.... Me.....MEEEEE!! :LOL:

....I am also working on "supplemental" LED systems, that would be able to retrofit into existing light fixtures to add that extra fluorescence or shimmer you may be looking for. ...
That's exactly what I am looking for at the moment! But then again you already knew THAT too *Grins*

....... expect to see some progress during the next week! :)
NOTED and will be waiting! :)

JWarren

Andy,

Some of the Spa supply companies are starting to sell LED's mood lights, Color of the lights change with voltage change. May be something worth looking at, if their PAR levels will work.

msbdiving

If my prototype produces exceptional results, I will look into developing the system more and creating units for certian members here to beta test ...

I am looking into t-5 lighting for my frag tank that I am building up. I might be able to be talked into looking the other way to try out the LED though. I would be happy to be a test subject and would be willing to pay for shipping to make it happen. Add me to your list, let me know.

mavdog32

what type of LED's are you using for the actinics? I am assuming by one of your last posts that this is something that could theoretically replace all of a tanks lighting correct? (pending further testing obviously for actual results). Sorry if these are dumb questions but i just dont know. I have been running this idea through my head for a while now as well I have access to a lot of LEDs but i just didnt know if I needed a specific type. Thanks man, i am excited to see the results from this.

darkarcher

how would these be if used as just the lighting on a 29gal tall would they be enough or would i need something more for the tank it will be used as a frag tank temporarily i have alot of spare time on my hands and have worked with leds before so not a biggy to wire them up

dacooley

Okay guys, got the board in my last post set up for a test run, so here goes: enjoy the video :lurk:

One thing to remember, is it's not the voltage, but the current that has to be limited to the LED's or they die rapidly

Each LED should have a resistor in series with it to drop the voltage needed at their specified forward current...
so if you feed the bar with 12V, and they run 3.6V, then you need 8.4Volts dropped.
If they show the continuous forward current at 20ma, then the resistor you will need is:
E/I=R (voltage divided by current equals resistance)
so 8.4/.020= 420 ohms on EACH LED. (Closest standard resistor is 470, so crank the feed voltage to 12.5 or so)

Cassette87

Back from the dead!

Next semester is my last of my B.S. Mech. Engineering Tech....

my senior project... *drumroll* this LED lightfixture, with some surprise features i've thought up that will be amazing if pulled off. Stay tuned for details...

pepapop

Hello! i have spent weeks looking for info on how to make your own led strip. I want to decorate my back yard with led lights. Your picture of the strip you made is awesome looking. can you share the rest of the info on how i can make one, or is there something else that needs to be done by myself to see the rest of the details. Thank you very much Sir.

Cassette87

pepapop, i have some left over LED's I may be able to make you one after the middle of december.

I've made some significant progress on the LED fixture.. will be sharing some photos here in the coming days.