My clown has something....

Well i posted a few weeks ago and i cant find that thread.. but he still has these black spots.. here is a pic of what it looks like
wwwclnspot%20copy.jpg

i googled it, my lfs says that it might be a parasite, im running a 29g biocube with refugium, UV sterilizer, skimmer.. carbon.. i looked up the fact that it could be a coral stinging him? but the lfs guy said that the clown should have a slime coat
oh yeah, the clown is a juv. too..
HELP!!

cioutlaw

Believe its called Hyper Melaninization & is caused by stinging from Frogspawn or other Euphyllid coral. its somewhat common.

There is also black ich which is the parasite your LFS might be talking about. Its mostly seen with Tangs. Might attack Clownfish as well.

Varga

if hes being stung by corals, he'll become immune to it quick, you don't have to do anything.

leebca

If the condition lasts more than two weeks, remove the fish or remove the lifeform that is causing this. I do not support allowing the fish to continue being harmed.

how can i tell what is doing this? i have so many corals, he does particularly like me Green Star Polyps.. would they sting him?

leebca

Then you choose the other route -- move the fish out. Remember you have two options. Remove the fish or remove the offending life form.

You can trial and error, removing the most likely first. When separated, the fish should heal itself fairly quickly.

jjohnson3

I have a question. If I remember correctly, clownfish were not immune to anemone stings a long time ago. Then they evolved to help each other and the clownfish started hosting anemones. Well, in the same manner, if I had a pair of clownfish that got these spots and they bred, would the fry be immune to the sings of this specific coral that stung the parent clownfish? I would reccommend that you start feeding garlic with the clownfish's food per the directions on the bottle. Garlic can be bought at most LFS's.

Stacef

how can i tell what is doing this? i have so many corals, he does particularly like me Green Star Polyps.. would they sting him?

I would not say it's the GSP's, to my knowledge, they don't sting. Their form of defense is to be able to shrink into their "mat" or hole. So stinging is not needed for their defense.

lcstorc

Garlic can more easily/cheaply be bought at your local grocery store and is though to be a good immune system builder.

jjohnson3

I don't think evolution works that quickly jjohnson lol.

It was just a thought. Lol. I thought I would ask to see if maybe it could work and I could sell clownfish that naturally hosted eupyllia corals in any aquarium for like $100! J/K. Id probably give them away to a good home like I do with all my fry after I did the hard part.

leebca

Afraid not. That evolutionary 'leap' would be anywhere from 5000 to 100,000 generations of fish.