My clam garden.....

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Great looking specimens especially the Derasa ... congrats Nick :thumbup: someday when I grow up and get some real lighting I'll try them :D

Maxx

Rob,
The Derasa clams are the least light requiring and are classified as "easiest" among clams. If you've got enough light to keep your new BTA, you've got enough light for a clam...
Might have to place it high in the tank though...JMO
Nick

Brucey

Nicky boy ..... no pics as yet mate. I don't know why but I just cn't get a clear focus on the guy ..... but he is at the back of the tank so I'm facing through 18" of water. I'll try again later .... even on manula focus it still looks blurred. Brucey

Brucey

maxx ..... took your advice my friend. Clive now as a new home. He's been closed all evening and immediatly opened up slightly (see photo) to look at his new surroundings after I moved him. It also looks like his mantle has been nipped at (Yes I have angels and I suspect my Bi-colour, although I have to say I have never seen it). You can see where his mantle has been nipped at, or could something else be doing this. Anyway I hit on a cunning plan and placed him in slightly lower light near Clarky the clown's lair. NO-ONE IS ALLOWED NEAR !!!!!. Clarky isn't at all interested in him so hopefully if he is getting bothered, he can get some restbite.
Brucey

Maxx

Brucey, thats a good looking lil Maxima! I'm impressed. Hope he opens up more where he's at so you can see more of him.
Nick

lance03

Brucey,

At 1.5 inches, you will need to feed him. They need to be fed phydo and rotifiers (if available) until they are at least 2". I personally feed until they are about 3". Then they are on their own. :) It is a tough fact of life, but small clams do not have enough zooanthelle in their mantle to survive over the long term - no matter what amount of light you give them. They will eventually use their energy stores and perish. I feed mine every day to every other day. I place my small ones in the bottom of a cut off water bottle. Turn off the pumps, and "fill" the container with phydo from a syringe, until the water has a green tint. In about 30 minutes, the water is clear and I turn the pumps back on. I don't like the process of removing the clam, placing them in a bowl, feeding, and then placing back in the tank.. Seems too stressful for the clam to go through this everyday.

Maxx

Good info and a great way to feed the smaller clams w/o stressing too much, Lance. Could you post a pic of your cut off water bottle so I can get a better idea of how you do it?
Nick

lance03

Sure - Not a problem.. I will post a couple.. The single clam, is a Maxima that I have had for a while. It went through the "water bottle" process, until he outgrew it. It is now about 3". The second pic (or however they come out) is of a 5" Crocea and the 1.25" clam in the water bottle. When I feed the 1.25" - I use about 2 to 3 ml of PhycoPure. It is a variant of DT's that is grown and sold here locally.

max.jpg

pair.jpg

Maxx

So all you do is fill the small "cup" that the clam sits in w/ phyto, and the clam sucks it all in that way....
sounds pretty cool.
Nick

Maxx

Definately less stress on smaller clams. Does it still retract when you fill the cup up?
Nick

lance03

It does a little, but I believe it is more of a "light and shadow" reaction then anything. After I am done placing the phydo in the cup and get my hand out of the tank, it looks normal.