My clam garden.....

Maxx

I just purchased 2 Maxima clams from Barry @ www.clamsdirect.com (one of our sponsors) and thought I'd post some pics.
The tank is a 20 gallon high AGA w/ a 10 gallon tank used as a home made sump. Aqua-C Remora skimmeris mounted to the sump, and a couple of Hagen powerheads provide circulation.
A Lifereef (www.lifereef.com) overflow box feeds the sump. The tanks only lighting is an old 175 watt MH w/ a single AB10K bulb. PLease excuse the crappy photos, old low resolution camera w/ no white balance is all I have to take pics with.
This is my Purple and Black Maxima

Maxx

Here is my 6 inch Derasa Clam and the other Maxima that I purchased. This clam has beautiful green bands that should look awesome under actinics, (which I'm not currently running).

Maxx

This is the right side of my little tank. The green acro in the middle is recovering from a nasty RTN/bleaching event.

Maxx

Thanks Vina and Clint.
Zach,
I'm using Seachem's Reef Advantage Calcium, and Reef Builder for alkalinity. I alternate daily and mix it in w/ the topoff water.
Nick

Gina

RS STAFF
God, just love the colors of those clams. We've been thinking about it but, need more research first.

Maxx

looks bigger than a 20
Yeah, its just how you shoot it.....If I lie down on the floor and look up at it through squinted eyes, it almost looks bigger to me too....:D
Gina,
Here is a link to a pretty good article (they say the site is under construction...been that way for the better part of the year now....) on clam requirements.
Hope it helps you w/ your research.
Nick

Brucey

Hi Maxx. You ok bud. What lighting are you running mate. I got my Tridacna Maxima about a month ago now. He's only a baby (1.5") I done all the research prior to purchasing and read that they like to bury the biassle foot into a hard rock substance. Interested to see yours are on the sand bed. What are your thought on it. Mine is also very high in the tank ..... approx 10" below a 250W MH. He's nowhere near as open as your fella ...... so the question is, is mine getting enough light into his Mantle for the zooanthelle to provide him with enough energy as it is ....... or, is he unhappy about being in such intense light. Mine is in the main tank too so I was wary of placing him too low as my Goby will probably cover him in sand. Also, have you heard of anyone using a sticking agent to attach them to a rock, as my Birdmouth wrasse seems to think it's funny to knock him off his perch once a week (I don't think he's strong enough to bury is byassle foot into the LR at the moment).

Appreciate your thoughts bud, looks like your a bit of an expert (well, compared to me anyways). Take care bud, Brucey

Brucey

Sorry, I didn't clarify one comment very well. I've also read that if the mantle is over extended, then it's because their not getting enough light. Which is why i wondered if the opposite is true with my fella .... ie, he's in such intense lighting that he doesn't need to open fully. I acclimatised him to his current lighting level by gradually moving him up the tank. PS, Lou has named him Clive !!!!

Maxx

Brucey,
I'm running a single 175 watt AB 10k bulb over the tank, and there is no actinic supplementation. I placed the clams on the bottom for a couple of reasons. I was trying to acclimate the clams to my tanks lighting, so I wanted them in the lowest part of the tank until then. I'm also running to the arts and crafts store today in order to purchase large seashells to put under 'em so they can attach their byssal glands to that. It keeps them happy nad lets me move them wherever I want. I didnt put 'em on the rockwork because I plan on tearing this tank down once my bigger 58 gets stable in 6 months or so. And its easier to re-arrange rockwork when nothing important is growing on one side.
I've seen clams searching for light like you described. I believe the term used is "panning". It looks like there is too much clam and not enough shell. I would think that your clam is getting so much light that it doesnt want to/need to open up all the way. You might try to move it down a bit.
Do you have any pics of Clive?
Nick