My 90 Build

livebait

Sorry this first post will be a bit winded...I wasn't going to do a build thread anywhere w/ this tank but decided it would be nice to have a record...

Back in December my wife decided she wanted a tank in our clothing store and I was able to pick up a (very) used 90 gallon Oceanic reef ready, stand, DIY canopy, dual PFO lighting 250W mh, VHO supp's, mag 9.5 return pump and an AC II w/ probes, x-10 transmitter and 8 modules, all for $175. The tank looked so rough I had the guy fill it with a garden hose and we let it sit for 2 days before I gave him a check. The only leak was from a cracked bulk head.
Here's how it looked the day we got it moved into our shop.
000_0004.jpg

The next day I started the clean up. I don't have any pics of that process but it took about a week. I cut all the nasty 1/2" pvc out, cleaned the glass inside and out, repeatedly with water and vinegar until a white rag no longer came back with streaks on it. Then I took a refurbishing kit I got in a box o' crap from championlighting last year and dry polished the inside and outside of the front glass. That took another 3 or 4 days to get it to a point that satisfied me.
Next I went to work on the plumbing. This is where it begins to slow down because money is tight and every penny of this project has come from frag sales from my 46, chaeto, gracilaria and mangroves.
I built a durso out of 1 1/4" sch 26 and mpt reducer to fit it in the 1" bulk head. The cracked bulk head proved to be a bear because the previous owner had tried to stop the leak with some sort of glue which did no more than glue the threads shut so I had to cut it out with a dremmel. Sounds easy enough but I was by myself so I had to leave the tank on the floor, tip it over on it's face and lay down on my belly to work. I'm a BIG guy so...LOL
The whole time I was working on the bulk head I could see the crappy DIY canopy leaning against a table next to me and began to dislike it more and more. So I decided to build my own. I finally got the build ready to stain and will do that tomorrow. I have pics of the entire canopy build but will only show a couple to save bandwidth.
000_0006_01.jpg

000_0004_01.jpg

This past week was a good one for frag sales and today I was able to order 52 lbs of rock from Maloney (reefcleaners), all of the LOCLINE and a new bulkhead for the return, 2 Korilia EVO 1400's and a Hydor THEO 300W heater. I have another 50 pounds of John's rock just sitting in a box in my fish room.
I also discovered that the single Workhorse 7 I got wasn't powering 2 VHO's properly so had to order another. Luckily I was able to score a new one on eBay for $35 shipped.
Heres a couple random shots of the fans that will go in the canopy and testing the lights
000_0001.jpg

A single UVL SuperActinic lit up on a WH7
000_0003-1.jpg

The mh's with 10k Ushios. I'll be replacing them with 14K's when it goes on the tank
000_0005-1.jpg

If all goes well this week will see the completion of the return plumbing, baffles in the 29 gallon Aqueon I'm using as a sump and begin plumbing the overflow. Plans for that part are a split to the intake and to/through a RSDB before dumping into the fuge. I'll have to take the rear brace off of the stand to get the sump tank in there but it will be a nice fit with room left to fit a 5 gallon bucket for the rsdb.

livebait

I got the Koralia Evo's, heater and WH7 in today. Decided I didn't want the ballasts under the canopy so I built a 3" deep box that will mount to the back of the canopy.
000_0008-1.jpg

000_0007_00.jpg

jpsika08

Nice beginning, good story.

Sorry about the glued bulkhead, don't understand the reason the former owner did that LOL.

Can't see the pic of the tank above, don't know if it's me or the link is missing.

Good luck and keep updating us :)

livebait

Nice beginning, good story.

Sorry about the glued bulkhead, don't understand the reason the former owner did that LOL.

Can't see the pic of the tank above, don't know if it's me or the link is missing.

Good luck and keep updating us :)

Thank you :)
The link is there but here's a couple shots just the same
000_0005.jpg

000_0013.jpg

and the inside of the tank after I'd cut out half of the PVC and cleaned out most of the leftover sand
000_0017.jpg

soco

Good story man! Nice tank! I will def be following along for this since i just set up a 90 gallon tank and sump slowly over the last couple of months!

livebait

lookin good so far!!

Thanks!

Good story man! Nice tank! I will def be following along for this since i just set up a 90 gallon tank and sump slowly over the last couple of months!

Thank you. I'll have to search your build thread :)

Long time no see :D looking good!

Wow staff now! Congrats Eric. Yeah it's been awhile since I've lurked around RS lol. Thanks for the compliment. Are you still making the plug id tags?

livebait

Thanks Nowellsy SNR!

I stained the canopy last night and just finished the inside of the doors. When they dry I'll reassemble and get pics. :)

The highlight of the day was getting the 50lbs of rock from reefcleaners. Maloney never fails to impress! Very good looking rock with lots of holes and hiding spots. Now I have to wait and get the other supplies needed for the scape but there is definitely light at the end of "get r wet" tunnel. :)

livebait

Well the doors are back on it and it turned out pretty nice I think. I sold a few frags tonight so I was able to pick up the pvc fittings to finish out the plumbing and glass for the sump baffles. I'll cut them tomorrow and get them in sometime this weekend. I couldn't find any Dap 100% silicone so I picked up a tube of GE Silicone I window/door. Never have used it and am a little apprehensive. May just take it back and get a tube of stuff from the LFS.
000_0003_01.jpg

livebait

Heres a shot of the tank after I got it cleaned up & polished.
000_0015_00.jpg

Today I siliconed the baffles in the 29 gallon I'm using as a sump. There's not going to be a skimmer on this build, all nutrient export will be done with a DSB and macro's. The build is macro dominant anyhow. I was going to use a RDSB but the stand won't allow a bucket for that and one for an ATO reserve so I odd-balled the baffles to give myself the most area for a fuge in the sump. I also had to keep the return area big enough to allow at least 5 inches distance between where the pump will be and where the float switches will go in the return area, to keep down chances of magnetic disturbance from the mag drive.
000_0005_01.jpg

000_0010_00.jpg

000_0016_00.jpg

I had to knock the center brace out to get the sump tank in the stand. When I did I noticed it was warping and cracked width-wise. I cut a piece of 2x4 to length and then used the old brace as a face for the new one.
000_0018.jpg

QuentinB

Great build man, the stand looks great!

Are you far from I-29? If you're up for it, I might be interested in a couple frags come summer... My folks live 2 hours east of Sioux Falls, so I could be in the area. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested!

OH! I was also a little concerned your ballast box could get a little warm. I could be wrong, but it's something to keep in mind I suppose. Sweet idea though!

livebait

Great build man, the stand looks great!

Are you far from I-29? If you're up for it, I might be interested in a couple frags come summer... My folks live 2 hours east of Sioux Falls, so I could be in the area. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested!

OH! I was also a little concerned your ballast box could get a little warm. I could be wrong, but it's something to keep in mind I suppose. Sweet idea though!

Thanks!
I just snapped a couple pics of the box from the front. There is actually a 1 1/4" hole on top and 6 hole's that are 3/8" drilled in line above the ballasts inside the box. The go through into the canopy with the idea that air rushing over them will act like a venturi and pull air from outside the vent on the box, over the ballasts and into the canopy. I'll keep an eye on temps the first full day it is running and if my idea doesn't work I'll add a 40mm fan to the closed end of the box.

I live 30 miles south of SF but am there quite a bit. Get a hold of me when you are around and I'll let you know what I have on hand.

livebait

I got the aqua-scape done today, the tank back on the stand and the sand in it. :)
Last week I broke the ceramic shaft on my mag drive pump so I'm waiting to get the replacement impeller. Because of space issues inside the stand I have dropped the RSDB in favor of a 6 gallon ATO resevoir. The fuge area of my sump will now have a clay DSB capped with sand and the DT has about 1/2 of it covered in a retained DSB of sugar sand capped with CaribSea special grade. A spray foam/egg-crate wall retains the dsb. The foreground bed is 1.5" of CaribSea. There is 60 lbs of reefcleaners rock, 6 cans of Pond & Stone, 3/4 sheet of egg-crate and 18 fl. oz of Bob Smith 30 minute finishing epoxy in my aqua-scape. I did it right in the tank so that there is absolutely no chance of crap getting trapped behind the wall and causing problems.
000_0012_00.jpg

000_0013_01.jpg

000_0014_01.jpg

livebait

AMAZING scape, dude! Looks like it was fun to build!

Thanks! If you call a lot of swearing, crying and yelling fun, yeah I guess it was. Doing it in the tank was a major PITA and not only did I end up with foam and resin on glass that I didn't want it on, I got spots of foam on the tan carpet of our store and a can leaked a huge glob out on my wifes desk. Hence the swearing (her), crying (me), yelling (her so she could be heard over the crying) :)
Naw, I did make a huge mess and am glad it's done.