my 55 tank with 2- 10 gal sumps linked

Rakahrd

sorry no pics yet the tank is a mess with all the hair algae in it waiting for my Clean Up Crew to arive. will do a 20% water change when they get here .

Squatch XXL

I am excited. I am only a few months along and know exactly what you are feeling. Once you get your clean up crew, things will be quite a bit neater.

I am interested as a DIY person to see how you have the sump tanks connected. It sounds like an interesting method.

DaveK

If your going to link sumps like this, I'd suggest using at least 2 siphons. If anything ever prevents the siphon from working, you'll get an instant flood.

If this was just being set up, I'd recommend drilling the sumps and connecting them directly, using bulkhead fittings.

Squatch XXL

II'd recommend drilling the sumps and connecting them directly, using bulkhead fittings.

I could not agree more. Another thing is to make sure that you have enough flow rate between the sumps. If you have greater flow than your connecting pipe can handle, you can get floods. Id guess that a 1" pvp connecting the sumps would be sufficient.

Hang on back overflows are a common point of failure, and can create biblical flooding.

For the sake of simplicity, you may do better to get a larger single sump, and simply create partitions with glass or plexiglass. It would give you less chances of floods.

mgreenough

You may be safer to drill the left tank and have it higher than the right tank (by a few inches) and let gravity do the work. Much safer than relying on a syphon.

I tried connecting two tanks side by side but could not get the fliw rate right until I raised one tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance: