My 180g mostly sps tank one year BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

ACRONUTS

Well guys its OFFICIAL!!! My 180g is now a year old! I did though have some early success but right around month 8 to 10 all hell broke loose. A massive alk spike, out of control phosphates and nitrates.

We are back on track and ready to go on.......!

A couple come back kids....

Superman monti

DSCN5862.jpg

Just imagine that whole piece was an actual piece of pvc that was covered by it. I almost chucked it but decided not to.

Only chalice left, all died including a 10 eye bubble gum monster! ugggghhhh!

DSCN5804.jpg

Here are some pieces that were not affected at all!! Thank God!!!

Pearl Berry

RSCN5908.jpg

Odd angle but pic taken from the top is a sponges monti and my biggest acro, about 8 inches in diameter.

RSCN5904.jpg

ACRONUTS

Some new additions to the tank.

Picked up at MACNA and can't remember what it is. Not sure if this is a cyphastrea or not what do you guys think?
DSCN5856.jpg

Ora's Tri color picked up at MACNA
DSCN5795.jpg

WWC pink red millie, you can't tell from this over head shot but this coral already just two weeks in tank is already showing growth on the base and growth of new coralites on one of the branches. It is an aquacultured piece and still maintaining its color! Looks like it likes my 250 Radium MH's and will be a moderate grower.
RSCN5907.jpg

Never had a clam in any of my tanks so I thought this would be a good try and keep your fingers crossed it is doing well and my flameback angel has completely ignored it!
DSCN5890.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto!

Love the Pearl Berry and the Pink/Red Milli

Cant wait to see your TriColor encrusting on the base there!

ACRONUTS

For my tanks' one year birthday I got it a BIG cake to celebrate!
I bought it a great present that will hopefully allow it to have many more birthdays.
A Reef Octopus SRO 3000 Internal skimmer!
Plan to set it up starting this evening.
Wish me luck!
Any of you have this model skimmer that may give me some pointers?
Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks BigAl!
Hey do you guys run your lights more than 6 hours?

I do. I run my lights for a total of 12hrs.

T5s ON 11am
Mh ON 12pm
Mh OFF 10pm
T5's OFF 11pm

In there day and night my tank goes into "Storm" mode when all system lights are turned OFF and the Lightning Stick and Lightning Spotlight will replicated lightning flashes. This could happen up to 4 times a day on RANDOM and it happens EVERY day at 6pm and 9pm. I've got all storms set at 20mins each.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
BigAl what are you referring to when you speak of "storm" mode?
Storm mode is when all the lights in the system (T5's, Mhs, LEDs, Fuge, Moonlights) go OFF and the SimuSTick and SimuSpot fire off in Lightning fashion replicating lightning in the sky. It slowly dims any LED light (as the clouds of the storm get closer it gets darker) and as the storm gets closer the lightning becomes more intense and more frequent. At 1/2 point the storm is now going away so lightning becomes less intense and less frequent and LEDS are slowly ramped back up to pre-storm brightness (in exact replication of the current moon stage and attitude).

+1, never heard of that before. Also, what benifit does having "storms" have? just curious

What benefit? :dunno:

It makes Allen SMILE really big and adds some COOL factor to my tank when I have guests over. I don't know that it benefits anything in the tank as the fish don't really seem to even notice it.

Here's a youtube video of a tank (Not Mine) demonstrating this effect.
YouTube - Profilux Thunderstorm Simulation with Working Lightning and Thunder

Big Ray

Has been struck by the ban stick
Happy Bday :D nice tank :)

Big al, amazing Idea ! and Im sure it makes the fish and corals feel more at home kinda thing. have you had any spawning or ... due to this ?
I try to mimic seasons, and it brings out alot of spawning in my fish and inverts. might copy your storm Idea :D please .

ACRONUTS

Storm mode is when all the lights in the system (T5's, Mhs, LEDs, Fuge, Moonlights) go OFF and the SimuSTick and SimuSpot fire off in Lightning fashion replicating lightning in the sky. It slowly dims any LED light (as the clouds of the storm get closer it gets darker) and as the storm gets closer the lightning becomes more intense and more frequent. At 1/2 point the storm is now going away so lightning becomes less intense and less frequent and LEDS are slowly ramped back up to pre-storm brightness (in exact replication of the current moon stage and attitude).

What benefit? :dunno:

It makes Allen SMILE really big and adds some COOL factor to my tank when I have guests over. I don't know that it benefits anything in the tank as the fish don't really seem to even notice it.

Here's a youtube video of a tank (Not Mine) demonstrating this effect.
YouTube - Profilux Thunderstorm Simulation with Working Lightning and Thunder

Very interesting video of the storm, lightning display!

ACRONUTS

Well guys here is the maiden start up video of the Reef Octopus SRO 3000. Man this thing is a beast!!!

10:00am Hookup

ACRONUTS

Here are some new additions from last week.

WWC Rasberry acro
RSCN5989.jpg

ATL Shades of Fall acro
RSCN5986.jpg

WWC bottle brush acro, can't remember what this one is called, CRAP!
RSCN5987.jpg

Unknown bushy green acro
RSCN5988.jpg

ACRONUTS

Well guys it now has been 4 1/2 months since I added 1 liter of EB to my system. System is now 1 year 4 months old.
Phos are at 0 - salifert test kit
Nitrates are between 0.5 to 0.8 - salifert test kit
Things are REALLY stable with all the other water parameters.
No hair algae or red/green slime algae!
Growth has been very good with my sps's, even the newer pieces. Color is OUTSTANDING!
My sps's that were on the verge of complete extinction are coming back. Even Mike's Paletta's blue monti is coming back from with in the rock it died on!
One other thing I have been doing as well is feeding the tank once a week with Dr. G's decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, oyster magnifique, phytoplankton enriched brine shrimp, copepods,rotifers, and Brightwell's zooplanktos-s, microvore.
I still clean glass about twice a week though.
Skimmer is pulling out a LOT of gunk for sure.
EXTREMELY happy right now with my tank!!!
I'm in the poor house after holidays, but it feels good not adding anything new and seeing what I have grow and prosper!

ACRONUTS

Well guys here they are. I did these rather quickly and I am not too happy with they quality but you can tell what my tank is looking like so far.

FTS

DSCN6384.jpg

Closer shot of middle of tank

DSCN6385.jpg

Closer shot of right side

RSCN6449.jpg

Closer shot of left side

RSCN6448.jpg

My fav view is the right side panel

RSCN6393.jpg