MY 140L piece of paradise

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Reefers,

My name is Brock and I reside in Sydney Australia. I am 29, engaged, own two cafés and work my ass off basically.

I am a crazy fisherman, I have been fishing and camping since I was little, and I would say my passion for my home reef tank and the great outdoors has stemmed from there.

I have tremendous respect for the ocean and it inhabitants, I have felt at first hand the fury of the ocean, and I have witnessed a first hand the disrespect people treat our ocean with.

I have wanted a saltwater tank for eleven years now, when I was 18 I bought a book which explained the setup and care for a saltwater tank, after reading this I decided that I couldn't afford it and also I was too busy with friends and didn't have the time for it also, so it has been on hold for 11 years.

My in-laws recently went to England to visit family, while they were away I was in charge of their cichlid tank. I found this rather easy even though I was only shown how to do a water change once before they left, and never kept fish before.
I added more fish, rock and plants and only had fish die due to tank aggression, which I worked on, had to trade in some really aggressive zebras etc.

My Fiancé seen how much I enjoyed the fish tank, so she recommended I start a little one in our room. I thought about it for a week and then headed down to a local LFS and before you know it I had purchased a little 140L tank. The tank was sent away to have the overflow installed and the holes drilled for return and outlet to sump.

While this was happening I built my own stand, and started researching and researching.

Two weeks later I picked up my tank, installed my backdrop, setup my sump, bought all necessary hard and soft plumbing, and got to work.

One week later I had my sand in, water in, and started the cycle process, and I found all this so exciting! my fiancé didn't get the excitement as it to her was just a tank with water however, for me it was so much more, it was the start of something special, the start of a new tank and the start of a long future in the hobby of saltwater reef tanks.

After one week of the water circulating and adding a couple of drops of bio aid every couple of days, I Purchased 15kg of semi cured LR, I put that in the tank and once again was so excited and once again my fiancé didn't get it, now to her it was water and rock in a tank.

After a week and a half and doing regular water checks my ammonia spiked up as the LR had allot of growth which was dying off.

I received a call from my local LFS, he asked if I wanted to buy LR from his established tank of five years, I had seen the pieces previously in the shop and told him they are really nice. So I pulled my 2 big lumps of rock from my tank, took them back and put his two nice pieces in my tank as I couldn't fit it all. They came with some mushies which I was over the moon about as now I had some colour in the tank.

Another week and a half went by and my ammonia was at 0, nitrate 20ppm, nitrite 0, ph 8.4, ch 11.
I did my first water change and two days later bought my valentini puffer. Now my fiancé was interested!!

Since then I have added a flame angel, pair clarkii clowns, blue tang, yellow tang, cleaner shrimp and long nose hawkfish. They all get along which I am also very happy about.

I have white sabae nems, goniopora's, tubipora's, tricolphilia's, suncoral's, hammer corals, torch coral, squamosa clams.

One month ago when I purchased the yellow tang, a week later all my fish had white spot. So off I went to the local LFS, new tank, filter and heater and medication. I had to move all corals and remove most LR to be able to catch the fish. Two weeks the fish spent in hospital. Since the filter had not a chance to cycle I was on daily water changes, I would take 20 litres from my main tank and put that into the hospital and top up the main tank with fresh salt water. This was hard work!!
All fish survived and were white spot free so it was all worth it.

Since then I have bought some small bio balls and I put these into cloth sacks, I leave these in my sump just in case I need to set up the hospital tank on short notice again, I will have some cycled filtration media and won't be on daily water changes!!

I know I have corals that I should not have in there as yet as my tank is not mature enough, I know that I have more corals than I should at the moment as once again my tank is not mature enough. What's done is done and while they are happy and alive I will keep them, if I find any of them dying off or not doing so well I will return them back to any local LFS that will take them as I currently have a zero mortality rate and I plan to keep it that way.

I will post pics once I work out how this is done.

Happy reefing!!

reefle

Hello and Welcome to RS!!!

Loved your story. My respect for the ocean and its inhabitants was also the reason I started this hobby. I hope the QT process worked out well for you!

Can't wait for pics!

Wolffman64

G'day, good to see a fellow Sydney reefer in here!

Tank looks great!

Where are you in Sydney, and which LFS do you use?

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Mate,

Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie!!!!

I have four LFS's within a 15 min drive, abyss aquariums, strictly aquariums, marine fish direct and pet and aquarium barn, these are ok.

I have some on facebook that are really good but are a bit of a drive from me, which I don't mind as there stock is quality, they get weekly deliveries, and have some great variety. They are Aquarisitic, aquarium excellence, mr marine, fish rock aquariums, blue reef aquariums, crystal palace aquariums, marine boutique.

Aquaristic I think would have to be the best in Sydney though. They update there page weekly with photos of there delivery and you can get them to hold it via facebook.

I also have another guy I stumbled upon online that deals with maxima clams, very nice and very expensive.

What about yourself?

Wolffman64

Funny, Marine Boutique was the shop where I started. Rod is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Where is Sydney are you? I'm in Frenchs Forest.

Another very good marine shop is Majestic Aquariums in Taren Point. A bit of a hike, but the owner Paul Talbot is a real "celebrity" in the marine community, and also very honest, helpful and what he doesn't know about marine tanks is probably not worth knowing. I bought my 500 from him in August.

Some of the other ones I have never heard of, will check them up straight away! Do you need any BTA's? I have 3 in my 250 that I will shut down over the weekend, and I don't want them with my sps in my new tank, so you can have them if you want.

Mr.Reeefer

How good is this weather Mate!!

I live about 80min SW from you , Camden is the area.

I have never been to majestic, I will have to check it out...:happywalk

Regarding the bta's how big are the and what colour? my tank is small so anything more than a fist size would be too big...

What are you doing with the 250? :drooool:

have you set up the 500?

Wolffman64

I know mate, fantastic. I said to my kids today that it feels like we've had summer for several months already.

I went to aquaristic today, great shop and much closer for me than Majestic. Much smaller shop than M, but a really good selection of SPS, and they had a Sailfin Tang for only $45! Got three Acro's and the Sailfin :dance:

The pink BTA's are probably too big for you. I took two of them back to Marine Boutique, still have one left in the tank...

I'm breaking down the 250 today and tomorrow, to get it ready to sell. Interested? :yup:

The 500 has been up now for 3 months and there is nothing but live sand and some live rocks in the 250, if you check out my tank thread you can see what the 250 used to look at. It's about 2 years old, stock standard config, and it comes with one WP25 and a chiller (+ several other bits and pieces like two T5 lights etc). Please let me know if you know anybody who's interested. X-mas present, lol.

Mr.Reeefer

Sweet, did they just receive new stock? I think they get there deliveries usually Thursday or Friday....
Congrats on the new purchases, that's a good price on the sailfin:yup:
(Pics would be great) ;)

how much for the 250 setup would determine my interest, with what I've spent in the last three months setting up my tank and with live stock, it is going to be a big job getting this one through the missus....

She will :guns: me

Mr.Reeefer

today I will have my CUC coming in, 3 turbo snails and a lawnmower or bicolor blenny.

This is one thing my LFS's neglected to inform me of, and since I have been a member of RS, all I read is how just about everyone puts there CUC in straight away.

And now that I have contained my cyano issue, I think it's time to add some helpers to the tank.

Wolffman64

Sweet, did they just receive new stock? I think they get there deliveries usually Thursday or Friday....
Congrats on the new purchases, that's a good price on the sailfin:yup:
(Pics would be great) ;)

how much for the 250 setup would determine my interest, with what I've spent in the last three months setting up my tank and with live stock, it is going to be a big job getting this one through the missus....

She will :guns: me

Not sure if they had just received stock or not, but it was good all the same!

The sailfin is not so big but really gorgeous. Will post pics on my thread over the weekend.

My goal with the 250 would be $1000, including the chiller and what is left of my live rock and live sand (if anybody wants it).

Mr.Reeefer

Good price, but can't spend that now, if you still have it in a couple of months I will definitely buy it, and that's no sh*t, but spending that now will mean I will go from being livecock to deadcock :

Look forward to seeing your pics!!!

I'm reading through your reef chronicle ATM.....