mushrooms?

werndogz

I don't really know where mushrooms would fit in, corals or anemones. I have this mushroom that the store owner called a purple pimple. It was green and had purple pimple looking spots. it's starting to turn pale and white in the center. am I doing something wrong? I feed it and change the water regularly, I have MH and actinic lighting. help. I have also had problems with anemones, but before I got the new light. I'm confused.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How old is the tank?

How often do you do water changes?

How MUCH do you change?

What do you dose?

What do you feed?

What are your current Water Test results?

75reef

some mushrroms can be VERY sensitive to light. They will sometimes bleech like that and then eventually die. If they are not at the bottom of the tank already, move them there and you very well may have to even cover them a bit so they are just getting indirect light for a few weeks or so. You will have to gradually get them adjusted to the intense MH lighting. Hope that helps...

Josh

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Josh is correct. I put some that were in a tank with PC lights into my 90g tank that has MH's and T5's and all of the shrooms shriveled up for weeks and finally started literally moving to darker sections of the tank. Now they are ALL in teh shade and some of them almost in the DARK.

werndogz

The tank is about 2 years old, I change water about once a month. i dose coralife liquid gold, kent marine coral accel kent essential elements, and feed them chromaplex and phytoplex.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Holy COW! You need to test your water parameters TODAY! That's a lot of organics to be putting into any tank. What other corals do you have?

I suspect you will see some of your water parameters are elevated due to the liquid foods you're using. Do you have any algae issues at all?

werndogz

no algae problems. when I got the mh lights all algae disapeared. I asked a friend what he doses because he has the same setup as I do and his is pefect never a problem. But I have had problems with everything from anemone's to corals even most of the fish I buy end up dead. I can't figure it out, and we use the same water too.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Do you have your OWN test kits or are you getting it tested at the LFS?

If you're having this many problems your best bet is to try and get this tank under control. Don't add anything (not even a ROCK) new to this tank until it's sorted out. Your money is earned and too hard to come by to just keep tossing it away not to mention the animals that perish right now.

Let's see if we can figure this out and get you stabilized and in control :)

LPS_Blasto

You need to test the following parameters daily and record the data in a log book.

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Magnesium
Iodine
Calcium
Alkalinity
Dissolved oxygen

Stability over the long haul is the best way to see your reef color up and grow.

Stop dosing. Stop adding any chemicals to the tank.

I'd be changing about 10% per week. If your water chemistry is whacked out, then I'd go about 20% every 4 days until it gets back to normal.