mushroom coral acclimation

75reef

After several other complications in my main tank, I have moved the mushrroms to my wifes 12 gal for quit awhile. Her tank has a little 32W 50/50 PC light in there (almost 3watts/gal). The mushrooms did great with it.

I then put them in my tank (see my signature for tank and light specs) and put them on the bottom of the tank completely shaded from the MH's underneath an overhang. They were only getting indirect light and they were opening up great. Later in the day, I moved one of the rocks to see how well they would do with a little bit of direct light from the one MH lights. Within an hour, they shriveled up into little raisins. I left it that way until the next evening to see if they would perk back up and they didn't so I put the rock back into place. They since then have been opening up fine.

How long does it take for these things to acclimate? I am assuming a week or two? They just seem a little too sensitive to the light...
Any thoughts? Also, the whole5 months I have had them in her tank, they did not spread at all. Not one additional mushroom...

prow

may never get use to the MH. might try to move to the side or inbetween the MH's. slowly move to direct light. thats about it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would personally leave them partially shaded as they will move into the brighter light when/if they want the brighter light. They will open up more in less bright light in order to be able to increase surface area exposed to light. also conversely when OVER exposed they shrink in order to MINIMIZE surface area exposed to the light. It's a crap shot either way. Remember they are MOBILE creatures and will move if they need to in order to meet their light and flow demands. And Murphy says," They will move from the most desirable spot into the LEASE desirable spot!"

Allen

75reef

Next, I am moving over the button polyp rock. Do you think they will be just as sensitive to the light?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I would imagine ANY photosynthetic coral is going to be "light-shocked" when moving from PC's to MH's. Maybe you can create a "low light" area in your tank by applying several layers of screen or other light inhibiting *not 100% blocking* material and removing maybe 1 layer per week and see how they react. It's not a day process but could take several weeks.

Good luck and keep us posted buddy.

Allen :)