MP40 ?

mtsully71

Getting ready to set up the new tank about 73 gallons tank volume and got to thinking more about flow.

I have a new mp40 I will use and the return is approximately 900 GPH (on left side as you view tank). The tank will allow for good flow in front and behind the rock. The question is do I need to get another mp40/mp10 or is one enough?

My other thought was to place the first MP40 about 1/2 down 2/3 to the front and place a smaller mp10 on the other side 1/2 down 2/3 to the back.

Any advice or trashtalk would be appreciated

Sully

Last edited:

Snelly40

i'd probably throw an MP10 on the other side... decently sized tank and it will help create more of a "wave" to enhance the place your flow reaches...

DaveK

This is one of those eternal questions that can't really be answered until you set up the tank. For now hold off buying anything else. See how the single MP40 works out, and try a few different placements. Then, only if you need it, get something additional.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with moving the MP40 around from time to time. You may prevent a lot of dirt buildup that way.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
great advise from all ^

also consider the corals you will be keeping too... in my 66 gallon I have one mp10 & a hammer coral the size of a beachball that can barely handle my mp10 flow

mtsully71

as always nice suggestions, just for FYI sake the tank will have about and even number of SPS/LPS and softies. I realize thats a very vague answer, but just trying to give as much info as possible.

I tend to move coral around until a happy place is found

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Two 40's will be a lot of flow and its a good bit of money to only operate them at 30-50%. Unless you plan to upgrade in the future I'd hold off and see how you like the flow from the single.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I just bought my 3rd MP10....mainly because right NOW, with the newer model out the price on them has dropped pretty drastically most places :celebrate:
I see NOTHING wrong with the 2 MP10W's that I run at 100% flow rate...so I got one to have on hand as a "just in case".
Just wanted to add that if you shop around NOW, the prices on the MP can be found at lowered retails. Before the new one was released, mfg wouldn't allow retailers to go below the suggested retail on them.