Most accurate results.

W Churchill

I use the Salifert test kits for strontium and calcium. The result from the calcium test kit is always slightly different from the first part of the strontium kit (which gives a calcium result also).

Which of these results would likely be most accurate.

lcstorc

I would trust the calcium since that test is made specifically for calcium. That is just a guess but what I would think.

bluespotjawfish

They should be the same or you did the test wrong. If the calcium reading on the strontium test doesn't agree with your regular calcium test, then you did the test wrong or one of the test kits are bad. Start over.

Note, that "agree" is a relative term. It should be very close to the same.

W Churchill

They should be the same or you did the test wrong. If the calcium reading on the strontium test doesn't agree with your regular calcium test, then you did the test wrong or one of the test kits are bad. Start over.

Note, that "agree" is a relative term. It should be very close to the same.

They have always been different with every test kit I've had, not a huge difference but different.

I've always assumed the the calcium test kit to be correct for two reason:
1 it's purpose is to test for calcium whereas the purpose of the other kit is to test for strontium. 2. Each drop of reagent from the calcium kit relates to a much smaller incremental reading in the calcium level.

But of course I've never been sure about this,

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good question, I will ask Boomer to chime in.
I've found the results to be slightly different also but never worried about them because both results were within the acceptible range.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
What is the difference between the two ? 5 ppm or even 10 ppm is meaningless on thest kits due to "noise".

W Churchill

What is the difference between the two ? 5 ppm or even 10 ppm is meaningless on thest kits due to "noise".

Yes those are typically the sort of differences I see.

I did try pausing itunes while I did the tests but it didn't seem to make any difference. :)