Morgan's Used Red Sea Max 250

jringold

Hi -

A few weeks ago I purchased a used RSM 250. It was in pretty good condition. The only things I had to replace was the skimmer o-rings, skimmer collection cup, water cooling fan, T-5’s, and heater. I added a chiller and cabinet cooling fan. To kick start it I found someone that was taking their system apart. So I purchased his live sand and about 100 pounds of live rock. I also got about 20 gallons of his water and a few inverts. So the tank cycled really, really fast.

It’s been running for two weeks now. I have 4 zoos, two fire fish, a diamond goby, a peppermint shrimp (came with the rocks) and today I threw in a small cleanup crew. Because I have been reading on this site for a while, I got the idea to add a Purigen pack and some Chemipure Elite.

The only thing that is driving me crazy now is the skimmer. I’ve read a truckload of posts about how to tune it but so far it’s either overflowing the collection cup or generating a ton of micro bubbles. This morning I messed with it for about half an hour and ended up turning it off before heading for work. Ascetically, I don’t want to add an external skimmer. It is setting in an alcove so there is only about 6 inches on either side of it. So hopefully I can get this thing dialed in correctly.

Anyway, since I have been lurking around I figured I’d at least introduce myself. This site is a treasure trove of awesome information and it made my setup super easy. I really appreciate everyone that contributes so much useful info.

Take care,

Morgan

Danreef

Hi -

A few weeks ago I purchased a used RSM 250. It was in pretty good condition. The only things I had to replace was the skimmer o-rings, skimmer collection cup, water cooling fan, T-5’s, and heater. I added a chiller and cabinet cooling fan. To kick start it I found someone that was taking their system apart. So I purchased his live sand and about 100 pounds of live rock. I also got about 20 gallons of his water and a few inverts. So the tank cycled really, really fast.

It’s been running for two weeks now. I have 4 zoos, two fire fish, a diamond goby, a peppermint shrimp (came with the rocks) and today I threw in a small cleanup crew. Because I have been reading on this site for a while, I got the idea to add a Purigen pack and some Chemipure Elite.

The only thing that is driving me crazy now is the skimmer. I’ve read a truckload of posts about how to tune it but so far it’s either overflowing the collection cup or generating a ton of micro bubbles. This morning I messed with it for about half an hour and ended up turning it off before heading for work. Ascetically, I don’t want to add an external skimmer. It is setting in an alcove so there is only about 6 inches on either side of it. So hopefully I can get this thing dialed in correctly.

Anyway, since I have been lurking around I figured I’d at least introduce myself. This site is a treasure trove of awesome information and it made my setup super easy. I really appreciate everyone that contributes so much useful info.

Take care,

Morgan

WELCOME !!!

In my thread, first page, is detailed my setup and a link with pictures and a very cle as r explanation of how to do it. Following that I never had a problem in 1 and a half year.

Daniel

Danreef

I copied that section of my thread. See post #6 of the link.

......I have also set-up the skimmer. It is working like a charm. NO ISSUES SO FAR !!!!... I have read so many about the issues that people have that I was scare of this guy. I followed Red Sea suggestions on this thread (see pictures on thread) :

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140082

Also added and air valve to fine tune the income air to the skimmer. The skimmer valve was difficult to use. I took the idea from another member, see my pictures. The income air is out of the tank too........

Daniel

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

The key to your skimmer... is getting the gate height right & water level

you will want to top off daily around a gallon ro/di (not sw) evaporation happens your skimmers water level will drop causing micro bubbles...
look at pics of gate height here... it will be close - just move it up & down like a 1/4" to tune

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/rsm-250-stock-skimmer-tips.66778/

does take some playing with, but once you get the hang of it, you won't have to mess with it...

jringold

Thanks Dan and Glenn. I'll give these a try and report back. Specifically, I'm going to add a new air valve. When I tested the one on the RSM last night I noticed that even when closed, air was still allowed to flow to some extent.

I'm really trying to resist the urge to start populating with my fish and coral "wish list". What I have now is really basic stuff that would live in a mud puddle. But it is one very pretty mud puddle! :)

I'll also get a thread started this weekend.

Thanks again!
Morgan