Morgan's s500

coralrama

Hi all,

I've had a great time looking at all of your tank threads and figured I should start mine. I just picked up a floor model s500 from a local dealer that was closing their showroom for a great, great price! Tank had never seen water! (Well, I didn't pick it up, my piano mover, myself, and my totally ripped girlfriend did...)

Got it setup, filled it with tap water and ran it for a day, and now finally have just finished filling it with saltwater.

I currently have a 50 with a HOB skimmer that is quickly filling up, so this is a welcome upgrade. I will have tons of questions - brace yourselves!

Wolffman64

Will follows this with great interest. Just post your questions here and I'll help you as much as I can. I have had my 500 for nearly 9 months now, so I have made some good things and some mistakes to learn from, as you can see in my thread.

Have you started the cycling yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coralrama

Thanks Jan,

Just finished reading your thread this morning! I didn't take any pics of the pickup and delivery process, but after reading how much fun everyone had putting the stand together I feel like I sort of missed out buying one that was all assembled.

I put a mix of carib sea live and the carib sea argonite in there, some live rock from my 50 gallon, and am taking a shallow scoop of the sand from the 50 every day too. So, I may be able to avoid a cycle, we'll see though.

coralrama

Here is how it is looking, I'm going for a super minimalistic approach as you can see.

zybu3ybu.jpg

I'm thinking of one zoa, right in the middle. I'll frag it often.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'd turn the rightmost rock about 15 degrees counterclockwise.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

I would take two of those rocks out it looks overcrowded lol. welcome mate RSM500 nice tanks.Fun times ahead, your gonna love it.:thumber:

coralrama

I see that many of you have done some sort of LED mod to the hood, and seeing how hot they run it seems like I can either drop some coin on a chiller now, or spend the money on the LEDs sooner. I was initially thinking I would run the T5s for a while (probably until it needs new bulbs.)

I have a great LED fixture from reefradiance over my 50 gallon, but I don't think I can get it over this tank for a few reasons:

20140606_080628_zps0e1643ff.jpg

15 foot ceilings make it pretty tough to hang, that's a plaster wall behind, and the legs that I got with it won't work with the RSM.

I've looked at the Steve's mod, but I'd also like to make a net top and ditch the battlestar galactica hood all together. Wrasses are my favorite fish and I've had too many carpet surfers to put another one in a tank with ANY opening at all. I had one make it through a 2" hole! The only hole in the top and it went right through it!

I'm quickly talking myself into a pair of Kessils I think....

Have a look at the thread: rumor has it redsea leds coming soon. look at the interzoo youtube review.early 2015 release date.The led set up on the 500s looks really good. perhaps you could wait until then, maybe they will have these as upgradeds for all s series tanks.

Cankers

Looks like a pretty nice tank. I have not read much about the 500. I currently have the rsm250 and I seem to like it more and more after each mod I perform on it haha. I'm interested to see how you progress on this one.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
CHEERS for starting a tank thread! :yehoo:
I think it's a great idea to stick with the original lighting, at least until you need to replace the original T5 bulbs.
Invest in lots more great pieces of live rock & work on a beautiful rock scape.
Everyone seems to want to avoid the tank cycle but it's very needed...have patience & let it happen.
Bear with the uglies as thats what it takes. You are setting your tank up to handle the bioload that needs to be very slowly added. SLOW SLOW SLOW...that's the way to go ;)
CONGRATS on getting your awesome RSM 500...Excited to see it slowly come to life!

coralrama

Thanks Diana,

I have more rock, it's just in the other tank still for now....will be moving it over slowly. I'm watching the ammonia, but I'm not sure it will cycle since I'm using mature rock. We will see!

coralrama

Working on the aquascaping a bit, will post pics a bit later.

I'm also trying to register on Red Sea's site, and this may be a silly question, but does anyone know where the serial number is on the s500?

ajkdark

Working on the aquascaping a bit, will post pics a bit later.

I'm also trying to register on Red Sea's site, and this may be a silly question, but does anyone know where the serial number is on the s500?

Look behind the tank where the auto top up line connects to the reservoir (where your overflow adjustment valve is). The serial number is on a sticker there.

Cheers

coralrama

In case anyone is wondering, the rsm s500 does NOT, I repeat does NOT come with any extra O rings.

If you have an extra, you'll probably find out why when you put water into the ATO.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk