Morbius18's New 90 Reef

Jeremy0322

I actually think I run about a 14 hour light schedule, with the daylights being on about 11 of them...i love the tank being lit up though...

morbius18

nice tank man, I have the same dimensions on mine...so what fish are you planning on keeping in there?

right now I have 3 blue chromis, 1 yellowtail damsel, and one pomacentrus? Yellow belly/tail damsel. I might get a yellow tang, six line wrasse or just more chromis. I'm not a big fish person, I'd rather have coral with better water parameters.

morbius18

I actually think I run about a 14 hour light schedule, with the daylights being on about 11 of them...i love the tank being lit up though...

I've never had a 3 stage lighting schedule, and decided to try it with an hour between each stage, so that gave me a longer daylight time, but I like the tank being lit up most of the day too.

morbius18

Off topic a bit, but I just filed my taxes with H&R block and I'm getting 5400 back. Looks like I will have some more to spend on the tank. I'd actually like to get a second Vortech MP40W and maybe a kalk stirrer.

Last edited:

morbius18

A couple of pics of the tank.
3.jpg

Acropora seem to be doing fine after the move.
2.jpg

Meat coral with some sand on it from an excavating damsel
5.jpg

Orange sponge with some yellow polyps growing in it.
1.jpg

Last edited:

morbius18

I changed the setting on the MP40W to reef crest mode for a more random/turbulent water flow, but I'm not sure which that I like best. The wave is cool, but turbulence is better, right?

morbius18

I also have another question that is posted in the equipment forum. I'm going to buy some new lamps to go with my cheapo chinese fixture. I'm looking at XM 15K with 50/50 for 2 65 watt PC, or XM 20K and 2 10K PC, or XM 10K and 2 actinic PC, but I cannot decide on what to get.
I know that it is personal choice, but has anyone had any experience with XM bulbs?

Jeremy0322

For some reason I posted the answer to this question on myas forum, let me send it over real quick....(insert crappy elevator music)....

It really depends on what coloration compared to what growth you are looking for in the tank. Something around 6700 is very yellow, but would give you the best growth, whereas something like a 20k or even a 14k is much bluer but the growth would be somewhat hindered. However, you can always get the lower K's (the 6.7k or a 10k) and then supplement with actinics. Its whatever you want really!

If you were to do the 15k XM's with actinic PC's it would probably give you an awesome color, or you could do the 20k MH with normal daylight PC's to balance it out. That is how i think it works at least...haha

morbius18

I was trying to find someone on the equipment forum that has used xm bulbs and could help me out about the coloration/florescing of the corals, but no bites yet.

Jeremy0322

There has been talk of people buying cheap chinese bulbs off of ebay and having good luck with them, I know Al was one of them and framerguy was one of the others, and maybe Varga? Its late and im sick and the names are escaping me...haha. PM one of them or just wait, they will come over and gives you the hook up!

Mya

You know I dont know who made my light bulbs or fixtures... but I only spent like.. iunno.. 200 bucks on my fixture and 4 bulbs I think.. and I am happy with them.
Tho, I still want LEDs.. haha

morbius18

That is what I am sporting right now one of the Ebay MH fixtures, I just wanted to try some good brands to see if it really makes a difference.

Jeremy0322

I bought 4 bulbs at 26 bucks a piece, and the fixture came with the tank. However, now that I have another fixture up, I need to get 6 bulbs at that price, so it will be about 160 bucks for light bulbs...:cursin: I would like an LED fixture if it was free, but that is much more money than I can even contemplate spending at the moment.