montipora bleaching while others are fine?

bwalker

i have 3 types of monti and until 2 weeks ago all are fine but the red one. it is bleaching(dying) temp is ok 78-82, all water parameters are fine but alkilintyis 90(low), ca 400, trace of phosphate, and nitrate, all others 0 ppm. this coral has been in tank for over 1 1/2 years and grew from 2" frag to presently 18" diameter, it sits right under 250w mh, which i change mn's once a year, changed 3 months ago, 4x 03 actinics changed every 6 months, 90 gal tank. i do 25-30 water changes once a month with ro water. and i even tried a huge water change 4 days ago 65 gal change only left about 2 "of water in tank.what is weird everything else is fine except 1 acan which i also have had for 1 years. please help me with this problem ihave tried everything i know to try and have talked with localpet stores and just don't know what else to do. thanks in advace for all you help and replies

ReefLady

Staff member
Everything sounds good...hmmm...

Is it bleaching from the top down, or bottom up? Is it simple bleaching, or does the flesh/tissue seem to be 'sloughing' off? No trace of brown jelly/goo? Any changes to the tank / new additions? No pest seen - flatworms, nudibranchs, etc? Is it a cap or a digitata (or something else)?

Frankie

RS STAFF
As soon as I read this I too thought of nudibranchs. Could you post some pictures of the corals please.

bwalker

i don't see any nudibranches at all, it is bleaching from top outside edge inward. no slime or goo. mainly discoloration. only thing adedto tank in last 6 months was 2 shrimp to eat aptasia anenomes. i will try and put some pics on here later today. thanks for all your help

reef dummy

This is weird, my orange monti just did the exact same thing. Bleached out of the blue and totally died. All other corals doing perfectly fine. I managed to save a few small pieces and place them elsewhere and they seem to be doing good.

Montipora's, especially digitata's are more susceptable to salinity changes than most SPS. Just a thought.

Also I would get a magnifying glass and closely check out the dying edge of the Cap. The nudis are bright white and sometimes blend in with the edge.