Monti question

Bjones

I have a pretty good sized Monti in my tank. It's pretty brittle and from time to time pieces break off during maintenance. Can I safely just cull the unwanted plates and take to my LFS or do I need to do some kind of prep to ensure the frags would be viable?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Depends on what the LFS would prefer. Some will take pieces as they break off, others want it on a plug. If it's decent size, it should be viable without doing anything special.

frisbee

The LFS will probably take them as is, but just out of common courtesy, I would use some super glue gel and attach them to small pieces of rubble first.

mikecc

Ask whatever LFS you got in mind, let us know what they say. You getting cash or in store credit?

Bjones

I live in Southeast Michigan (Metro Detroit area). I'm pretty sure the LFS offer will be store credit. I'm pretty new to the SW game so I haven't been to any swaps yet. My set-up was stocked when I got it but I'd like to put a few things in to "make it my own". The Monti is about 8 inches across at the top and 6-8 inches tall. My plan is to cull it down so it doesn't take up so much of my real estate. Then I can use the new space to diversify my reef. My set-up looks full but the majority of my coral action is GSP, button polyps and the Monti.

Oxylebius

Nice size monti. If you were closer to me I would be very interested in pieces of that monti. What color is it? If you can get store credit, then great, if not there are other options also.....

Bjones

It's green. I think I'll experiment a little making some frags of it. If they take I'll hit my LFS a some local swaps. The fragging exp. will be useful and if I get anything for em, bonus.