Monti bleaching!

K L R

Im not sure why but my encrusting monti just randomly started bleaching...

The capping montis and other sps arent bleaching or anything, and ive had this monti for 4 weeks now and it just started bleaching..?

Any suggestions on why?

1Reefer

I know you keep chalices as well though, which aren't a high light coral.... maybe its just adjusting? 4 weeks seems like it would be adjusted and growing but you never know...

Usually bleaching is light oriented IME, this could translate into placment... idk though

K L R

It is actually on the sb, the frag had 2 little 1/4 in pieces on it, that are barely connected...earlier the left side died, then grew back...now the right side is bleaching but not growing back so im kinda worried

reeferman

have you inspected it real good for nudis?they definitely cause it to bleach and die.monti eating nudibranch,google it if your not familiar.

1Reefer

I'm not sure if the encrusting monti's would do very well without a hard base to encrust onto... e.g. rock, plug or something similar... the sand might be moving as it trys to encrust, which may be stressing the coral... just another thought

1Reefer

Lol! I didn't think you would put it "directly" on the sand KLR but that is how you made it sound.... well I'm all out of ideas. I have a purple encrusting monti, its doing well, in mid flow and mid light....

K L R

Ithink it is rtn,because it is dieing fast. should I dip it and if it gets close to dieng should i frag the alive part off?

cbrownfish

Could it have been stung by a sweeper tentacle of some sort (Euphyllia, Galaxea, Favia....)?? On another note, all corals are not created equal, so certain corals may show signs of stress while others remain happy and healthy. If water quality is declining, you may notice other corals slowly begin to show stress. Don't under rate the benefit of water changes.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Could it have been stung by a sweeper tentacle of some sort (Euphyllia, Galaxea, Favia....)?? On another note, all corals are not created equal, so certain corals may show signs of stress while others remain happy and healthy. If water quality is declining, you may notice other corals slowly begin to show stress. Don't under rate the benefit of water changes.

Yeah what he says :)

On a side note... if you notice it's still declining then YES dip it and if it continues and if it's large enough frag out the good and give that part several dips over a couple of days.

K L R

Well its gone :( but all the frags around it are in perfect condition so maybe just that coral had a problem