MJ mod 1200 Too much flow??

Rye_84

I was looking at modding to of my MJ 1200's. Does anyone have experience with them on a 4 foot tank? (75 gallons to be exact) I was planning on mounting one on each end of the tank. I am worried that 2000ish gallons flowing from each of them will kick up all of my sand. Its a tiny bit larger than the sugar sized. Still really fine though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Honestly I think that number is "Over Inflated" but regardless I don't think it's too much. I have a 4' tank with a pair of Koralia #4's and it's not enough. I'm planning on upgrading them to Koralia #6's in the future instead.

Ratpack

I have a 75g as well and I have the MJ mods, however they are not on MJ's. I put the props in my Koralia 4's. Not quite as laminar and someone ran a bag test on one and it is closer to 3000gph and a lot quieter. I have two of them along with another regular Koralia 4 (just need to buy the kit for it)and a Koralia 2 in my tank. So if the numbers are right, I have about 8000gph in my tank which is over 100x turnover and when the third K4 is done, it will be close to 10,000gph (if you believe the numbers they publish). But to answer original question, two will be fine but it will move some of the sand around unless you keep them pointed level or upward. I have a bare bottom tank so it doesn't effect me.

Ratpack

Honestly I think that number is "Over Inflated" but regardless I don't think it's too much. I have a 4' tank with a pair of Koralia #4's and it's not enough. I'm planning on upgrading them to Koralia #6's in the future instead.

Al, get the large prop from the MJ mods and add them to the K4's you have and you will be a lot cheaper. It is simple to do, just reverse the prop on the kit (mj spins opposite K4) and the kit slides on the K4 shaft, no other mods to do. I bought mine from Triton Aquatics for $10 each plus shipping.

BigJay

I'm a Koralia fan too. My modded MJ is the next thing coming out of my tank. I had my Koralia set on a 15 minute random off/on and it never failed to start. It clicked a few times thats it. My modded MJ on the other hand freezes everytime there is a power spike, power outage or I have to turn off the PH's. Sick of having to stick my finger in it to get it turning.
Great flow for a cheap price but IMHO Koralias are a better bang for the buck.

ryanb91

I have the Koralia in one end pointing up to make waves and modded 1200 mj on each side of my 75 and the flow is perfect IMO. I like the mods to those it makes a big difference

oh and I have sugar fine sand and all is good. just dont point them to far down at it

Rye_84

I have two koralia 3's in my tank right now. Cant I just pop two of the MJ 1200 propellers in it, instead of getting the whole mod?

Ratpack

I have two koralia 3's in my tank right now. Cant I just pop two of the MJ 1200 propellers in it, instead of getting the whole mod?

If you are referring to the stock props in a MJ, then no. The props I have in mine are from the mod kit and they just drop in. The large prop fits perfect in the K4, so for a K3 you might have to go with the smaller prop.

Ratpack

If you just want the prop, a lot of people order them from an RC hobby store. They are just RC boat props. With just the prop, you will have to make it fit the Koralia magnet yourself.