Mixing station Large tank small space

Not certain if this is the best spot to post this question or not.

I have a 180G DT over a 18G sump/fuge.

I figure I have roughly 300 gallons of water once you figure out the displacement of 290 lbs live rock + 380 lbs Live sand.

I had built a 37 gallon tall tank into th cabinetry around my tank for water changes but would like to reclaim that space and provide for a larger mixing station.

My tank eventually will have all manners of coral (soft, LPS and SPS) as well as clams, anemones and other inverts and fish

Ideally I want a minumum of 50 - 60 gallons but I don't really have the space to store one of the brute garbage cans,

I am considering a Rubermade 54 gallon Roughneck hightop tote because this gives me the size but is more easily stored that the trash can.

It's Polyethelene, assuming HDPE. Primary concern is it's rectangular and the sides will bow out when filled. Maybe not with the lid in place or some other form of cross brading.

It's also got drainage holes in the handles which I fear will reduce the mixing volume but I can always plug these with marine epoxy.

My prefered choice are the HDX 27 gallon tough totes from home depot.

two stacked together will give me the same capacity as the Rubermaid or trashcan but they nest together and would take up half the space when not in use.

Problem is they are constructed from a recycled Plastic Resin but no clue as to what type of plastics were recycled.

Does anyone have any experience using these for mixing stations?

They'll basically have water in them for about 2 days out of the month.

Is there something I could use to line or "paint" them that would seal the totes and make them safe?

Thanks in advance for your feedback?

Steve L

Not certain if this is the best spot to post this question or not.

I have a 180G DT over a 18G sump/fuge.

I figure I have roughly 300 gallons of water once you figure out the displacement of 290 lbs live rock + 380 lbs Live sand.

I had built a 37 gallon tall tank into th cabinetry around my tank for water changes but would like to reclaim that space and provide for a larger mixing station.

My tank eventually will have all manners of coral (soft, LPS and SPS) as well as clams, anemones and other inverts and fish

Ideally I want a minumum of 50 - 60 gallons but I don't really have the space to store one of the brute garbage cans,

I am considering a Rubermade 54 gallon Roughneck hightop tote because this gives me the size but is more easily stored that the trash can.

It's Polyethelene, assuming HDPE. Primary concern is it's rectangular and the sides will bow out when filled. Maybe not with the lid in place or some other form of cross brading.

It's also got drainage holes in the handles which I fear will reduce the mixing volume but I can always plug these with marine epoxy.

My prefered choice are the HDX 27 gallon tough totes from home depot.

two stacked together will give me the same capacity as the Rubermaid or trashcan but they nest together and would take up half the space when not in use.

Problem is they are constructed from a recycled Plastic Resin but no clue as to what type of plastics were recycled.

Does anyone have any experience using these for mixing stations?

They'll basically have water in them for about 2 days out of the month.

Is there something I could use to line or "paint" them that would seal the totes and make them safe?

Thanks in advance for your feedback?

I think you miscalculated your water volume. Your gross volume is 198 gallons if you are stating the tank and sump gallons correctly. With 290 pounds of LR you are displacing roughly 35 gallons and with 380 pounds of live sand (which must be one heck of a deep sand bed) you are displacing an additional 46 gallons which gives you a net volume of 117 gallons. Naturally this isn't exact because of different densities of rock but it shouldn't be that far off. Odds are that if my calculations are, your water volume will be slightly more depending on the rock and substrate you've used.

If my calculations are correct a water change of 50-60 gallons would be way too much. You'd be better off keeping what you have. If it's already set up and working for you (if it ain't broke), why change it?

If you still want to change things up and are concerned about toxins leaching into the water (which makes sense) there are a number of web sites that can ship you a tank more to your liking such as this one.

http://www.tank-depot.com/browse.aspx?id=2

DaveK

Generally I agree with Steve L's excellent post.

I will also ass that the Rubermaid 54 gallon Roughneck hightop tote is a tricky item to work with. Once you fill it with water, the sides tennd to bow way out. I don't think it will fail, but it could cause some other problems for you. As you mention, some people cross brace them, but I don't tend to trust that. The round rubbermaid trashcans will also nest when not in use, although they will stand taller.

Unless your really stuck for space the round rubbermaid trash cans are the way to go. You need mot set them up next to the tank when in use. I use a powerhead and long hose to move large amounts of water about. I'm getting too old to lug it around anymore.

Sorry There was a typo in my original post it is a 180 DT over a 180 not 18 sump/fuge

That said, a 180 typically does is not run containing 180G

the running depth in my DT is about ~23" or aproximately 167g in the DT
Combine that with my sump/fuge which has an average water depth ~21 " or an extra 153 gallons c and I should have a gross water volume of about 320 gallons

There is 180 lb of Argonite sand in the DT and 200 lb Fiji Pink in a 6+" DSB in a 24*27 fuge.
The 290lbs of LR is spread about 50/50 between the DT and the Sump.

so taking your estimates into account for the LR and LS volumes I should have a net volume of about 240 gallons.

so 48 Gallons would be a %20 water change and 60 gallons would be a %25 water change.

As for the trash can, the problem is that I don't have room for it in the garage and I would not want to keep it outside.

I want to be able to use my garage as a garage

I want to reclaim the internal space from my mixing station and use it for trying to cultivate Phyto and Pods and or quarantine tanks.

My tank is built into a wall unit complete with sink/drain and 90g/d RO/DI filter right next to it. so I can easily set the mixing station up right there

It's just developing a comprimise for what to do with it when it's not being used.

I may have to bite the bullet and go the trash can route but I feel like being stubborn a bit longer.

The 44 gal is priced ok at $40, still smaller than I want, but the 55gal is $100 new at HD and that just feels wasteful.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Go with the "trash can" I don't think you'll regret it. They are strong, stable, and SAFE.

I've used non-round containers for different uses in the past and never felt very safe. Even the best of them started to bow after just a few hours of water pressure. Better safe than sorry.