Mistake

hub81

Ok I have made the classic mistake, I even know better than to do this and I did it anyway. I went to the LF a few days ago to have a look around.
I am looking at the coral and I let one of the store keeps talk me into buying not one but two flower pot corals, telling me how easy they are to take care of and all. Of course there was no plan of adding these to my tank so I have done no research at all on them. So I get them home add them to the tank. I start reading up on them and as it would seem they are one of the hardest corals to keep. Well I am glad to say that they are doing much better in my tank than they were at the LF. I was going to take them back but I got to thinking they will just pass them off to someone else and they really were not doing that well there anyway.
They are both fully opened and look healthy but I have read they are hard to feed.
I am not really to sure what I should do here anyone have advise, what would you do?

75 Gal Reef, 29 Gal sump, T5 250watt metal hylides, 4 54watt blue attinic, 6 blue moons, Octo 150 NW skimmer, 120lbs live rock, 80lbs live sand.

8 Snails assorted
20 hermit craps blue leg
2 bumble bee snails
10 nassarius snails
10 turbo snails
3 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp
1 Chaeto plant
2 mangox plants
1 coral banded shrimp
8 mexican turbo snails, they are big
5 zebra leg hermit crabs
1 sea cucumber
Mandrein
2 flower pot corals

well they are VERY hard to take care of simply because they require a very stable tank. How old is your tank? I personally dont feed mine, i add phytoplankton to the system regularly and mine seem to be doing GREAT! Try take them back and tell your LFs!! Its crazy what people do today for money, they will rather potentially lose a customer for a few hundred dollars?

Reddog170

No doubt there. LFS are out for money, at least most of them. The flower pots have a much better chance of survival in your tank than theirs and you are doing all the right things. I am not sure what or how to feed them but goldenmacman seems to have you on the right track. Good luck and we need pics. Shaun

^^ Thanks ^^

Read this from LiveAquaria

The Goniopora Flower Pot Coral is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral, often referred to as a Ball, Daisy, or Sunflower Coral. The flower names refer to its appearance when all of its polyps are opened. It takes on the visage of a bouquet of flowers. The red form is a bright red color, and illumination by actinic lighting will highlight its true beauty. Once open, the Flower Pot Coral is a gorgeous hard coral with free-flowing short polyps.

It is aggressive, and ample space should be provided between itself and other neighboring corals. Its polyps can extend far past its base into the reef aquarium, where they can sting other species of corals. Clownfish, will often play in its polyps if no anemone can be found in the reef aquarium. This may actually be detrimental to the coral.

Goniopora sp. require PERFECT water conditions, the proper trace elements, and the habitat must match its requirements. In general, the Red form of the Flower Pot Coral does better in an aquarium than other Gonipora sp. However, any damage to the meaty section of the Red Flower Pot Coral almost always means a lost specimen. One can only do this Goniopora Coral justice by leaving its care to the experienced hobbyist with the expertise and time to keep the coral properly.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provides the majority of its nutritional requirements from photosynthesis. It should be fed phytoplankton or brine shrimp daily.

hub81

I have had my tank up and running for about 7 years now, the water conditions are very good 0 nirites, 0 ammonia, 0 nirate, 8.4 ph, salt 1.24.5 or 33, Cal is good and mag is good. I do water changes with RO DI 6 stage every three weeks. I have plenty of light but it was the feeding I was worried about, I read that they require direct feeding with all kinds of different things. How Long have you had yours? I think I will keep them and give it my best shot, I am going to go get some phytoplankton tomorrow.
One thing is for sure it opens up pretty big and nothing can be touching it.
I will see if I can get some pics for you.

hub81

Thank you for the info, I now know what to feed them, so far they are doing very well. I have started out slow only feeding once a week. They both seem to be eating, I have notice that the smaller one does not eat the same thing as the bigger one will. I have switched to liquid based food and they both will take that. And on a good note so will the green buttons and the bubble ane.
Thanks again you all have been very helpful, and I posted some pics if you want to check them out.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just be VERY careful! all that "filter feeder" food will lead you down the road to a massive algae bloom if you aren't very careful.

Good luck :)