Miracle mud

zchauvin

Why is this stuff sooo expensive and is there a alternative to using this? How about no refugium and a protein skimmer instead.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What is your actual "Goal" for Miracle Mud? I mean other than wasting your hard earned $$ on junk which could very well cause a NASTY algae bloom. Do a search on Reef Sanctuary (or anywhere really) on Miracle Mud and you'll see many of us have tried it and not all but many of us wont do it again. With that being said... there are some who really like it but that's not my take on the stuff.

I like a refugium to be bare bottom or a shallow sand bed (for the microfauna to colonize).

IMHO a skimmer isn't an option for a refugium and vice versa. Actually the skimmer really should be mandatory for a Reef Tank unless the tank is small and you can handle frequent water changes to take the place of the skimmer.

Doogle

Has anyone ever tried building a little trough in the bottom of the fugue that could be removed easily and has the sand/mud in it instead of in the bottom of the fuge? Wouldn't seem to hard and would make removing the sand or mud a lot easier but I'm not sure if it's really practical or not I don't have a fuge...

zchauvin

What is your actual "Goal" for Miracle Mud? I mean other than wasting your hard earned $$ on junk which could very well cause a NASTY algae bloom. Do a search on Reef Sanctuary (or anywhere really) on Miracle Mud and you'll see many of us have tried it and not all but many of us wont do it again. With that being said... there are some who really like it but that's not my take on the stuff.

I like a refugium to be bare bottom or a shallow sand bed (for the microfauna to colonize).

IMHO a skimmer isn't an option for a refugium and vice versa. Actually the skimmer really should be mandatory for a Reef Tank unless the tank is small and you can handle frequent water changes to take the place of the skimmer.

Well I was going to do both. The tank is only 17g and a 4 gallon sump so it'll be a tight squeeze skimmer wise. If anything I would have put the skimmer in the larger fuge area but if its as necessary as a skimmer then I'll do both. I just didn't want to spend 80$ on that crap so I'm glad its not good. I'll just do 1-2 inch of sand and chaeto. I should have the rock, sand and water all in this week... Maybe lol I finally got everything setup and my light in. I got the fishneedit 70mh and after everyone said how had the bulbs are.... I find the 14k very bright and blue at that, I think the 20k would be overkill.

Doogle

With a smaller tank like that what are you gonna keep in it? Dragonet? Do you need a fuge for pods? Just askin. I'm thinking of trying a fishneedit fixture and hear the halides are pretty well built especially for the $$$!

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well I was going to do both. The tank is only 17g and a 4 gallon sump so it'll be a tight squeeze skimmer wise. If anything I would have put the skimmer in the larger fuge area but if its as necessary as a skimmer then I'll do both. I just didn't want to spend 80$ on that crap so I'm glad its not good. I'll just do 1-2 inch of sand and chaeto. I should have the rock, sand and water all in this week... Maybe lol I finally got everything setup and my light in. I got the fishneedit 70mh and after everyone said how had the bulbs are.... I find the 14k very bright and blue at that, I think the 20k would be overkill.

Glad you aren't using the miracle mud. The whole concept of it eludes me. IT's packed with nutrients and isnt that what were trying to remove by setting up a refugium? Miracle Mud flies in the face of conventional wisdom, its another snake oil.

zchauvin

Well I may keep a dragonet as I've always admired there color but that would be a year away minimum. I was going to just have two clowns for now and I want the fuge to help with water of course, with a small tank water stability is harder to keep so I want the most help I can get. The fishneedit mh is good for the money for sure. The bulb is very bright and prior to previous readings, very blue. Far from the yellow that people complained about. It's a very light weight fixture and I wouldn't say has the sturdiness and what not of others. It's almost like holding a coke can with a light bulb but for 100$ you will not find anything better, its very good at doing its job for the money.

zchauvin

Glad you aren't using the miracle mud. The whole concept of it eludes me. IT's packed with nutrients and isnt that what were trying to remove by setting up a refugium? Miracle Mud flies in the face of conventional wisdom, its another snake oil.

My thoughts exactly but I wanted to ask ahead of time and be sure that I didn't screw up early, and save my self some cash as well.

zchauvin

44f06774-2a7f-ca73.jpg

Don't have anything in refugium yet, just what you see. Will add about ten more pounds of rock and get the chaeto going within the month then skimmer once it cycles. May also have to add another power head.

zchauvin

Lol don't we all ;) clowns and a dragonet eventually and that's probably it. A lot of coral hopefully

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
zchauvin said:
Lol don't we all ;) clowns and a dragonet eventually and that's probably it. A lot of coral hopefully

Watch the clowns with the dragonets. My pair just killed my male mandarin. Keep an eye out for misbehavior!

....Insert Funny Signoff Here....

zchauvin

Thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't be adding the dragonet until the tank is mature anyways.