Miracle Mud...A Godsend or a Scam?

Is Miracle Mud worth the price? Or should I get mud from the ocean myself?

• Buy it, It actually works!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Save the money, and get it from the beach!

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Reefer31

Hi all.

Was at my LFS today, just looking around to see what they had in stock. Unfortunatly they are replacing tanks so I didnt see much in the way of livestock.

However, I did get talking to one of the staff about reef tanks. He recomended that a Refugium with a substrate of miracle mud and plenty of Caulpera growth is a good idea, and he himself has had much success with it.

Now I have heard some bits and peice about this mud, and It seems a bit of a scam. $120 for 3-4 killos of the stuff (thats about 6-9 pounds) is a tall order. I canot help but wonder wether I would be better off setting a fuge up with mud I collect from the mudflats behind my house?
The stuff is probally the same, if not better, and would have way more life in it.

So, peoples thoughts on this so-called Miracle Mud?
Godsend, or marketing Scam?

Cheers,
Reefer31

Reefer31

Its more expensive over here, cause the Australian Government is scared to death of letting something bad into the country. Hence they dont like to import anythong organic, and like to irradiate anything that is.

Hence, the price.

Whats a DSB btw? Deep Sand Bed?

Reefer31

BoomerD

I'd vote for a 3rd choice in your poll...get good quality aragonite sand and make a DSB from that, NOT from beach sand nor miracle mud.
You MIGHT be able to use clean sand from the reef area, IF it's nice and clean, but you never know what kinds of pests or parasites you might bring with it...

Reefer31

ok, so just go with a DSB? How deep? most recomendations have been between 3-6", what have people had success with?

Thanks for the articles elliottb, a great help.

Reefer31

A lot of folks say "miracle muds" dont work because they cant "see" a difference in there tank.Even the above average and most studious aquarist doesnt have the means to test but for 4 or 5 of 40 or so most common trace elements.So I guess some of it has to be taken on faith.I dont see the use of these as the entire content of a dsb as being very practicle or needed,maybe 10 to 20% might be more resonable.Garf grundge has been used for years as one leg of the cure for "old tank syndrome"and it works.A warning about garf grundge,be prepared to bury it deeply in the sand bed as it is quite ugly.A 4 inch sanf bed seems to be just about the most workable depth.Even a 1 inch sand be will do some good for denitrification but it would lack the anaerobic layer that is so important.The article that Elliott sent by Rom Shimeck is the most recent and up to date.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Does it work ? Yes it does and I have seen some terrific looking tanks using this mud exclusively without a skimmer and it's quite impressive. Would the mud you collect be the same ? That I don't know but you could try it and see how it works out :dance:

SJS

I'm using some Miracle mud and GARF along with sand in my fuge(s) - more mud in the mangrove fuge - no scientific reason behind it - just seemed the most natural way to do it....

Reefer31

When I get the test kits I need I will test some water thats had the mud from down there sitting in it and see if its got any nasties.

If I doesnt I might run the tank for a while then introduce it later to see if it has any good effects.

Thanks for the replies,
Reefer31

jhnrb

Im using miricle mud, kent marine bio sediment, and aragonite in my refugium with a depth of 3 inches.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I use Mineral Mud for my mangrove and it works great. Good substrate to root in. I will use it again. I have also used Miracle Mud with good results.