Milwaukee pH600 and Hanna Checker Alk tester

slfcaptain

I am thinking about getting these two testers. Anyone use these and are there any serious cons to either?

The pH tester is pretty cheap but needs separately purchased calibration fluid. Does it need to be calibrated frequently?

Thanks

Steve

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I use both and calibrate my pH tester about once a year. I wouldn't be without my Hanna alk checker.

DaveK

In theory, a pH meter of any sort should be calibrated each time you use it if you want maximum accuracy. Over time any pH probe will deteriorate and the readings it gives will shift.

That being said, if your store the probe properly it should last quite some time, and may be used as long as you can calibrate it correctly. If you don't mind it being a little off, you need not recalibrate it every time. It's not that big a deal. However, if you are not calibrating the probe and you see a reading a bit off from what you'd expect, recalibrate the probe before and test again.

While we are on the subject pH probes should not be stored or calibrated using low ionic strength water such as RO/DI water.