Milt's 10g Nano/Frag tank

Miltonic

Thanks Al.

I did get a Tunze Nano skimmer for it but it arrived with a broken collection cup so I have to wait until they send me a new one :/

jgking21

miltonic, keep us posted on the light. I have the 250w - 20k on my 54 corner and not getting much growth on the frag I've got in there, I think it may be a weak bulb.

Miltonic

^ I feel the same way, I am going to buy a replacement bulb for my fixture soon I just have to figure out which.

Also I finally got my Tunze Nano skimmer up and running today and I will be moving my sumped false perc clownfish over to this tank as requested by my mom. Nothing exciting really has been going with this tank really over the past month, I will get pics once I move the fish in.

Miltonic

I like it, though I wish it would have fans but for the price you can't really get everything I guess lol I don't need them now until the summer anyway. It comes with an electronic ballast.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Miltonic I'm sure you can do this one. They are VERY easy to do and I bet someone on here can walk you through it step by step. :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Don't mean to be annoying or anything, but it's pretty simple. I can give you a walk through if you're interested. I know some people don't like to mess with electricity too much and that's fine.

Miltonic

A walk through would be awesome, Im not afraid of working with wires and electric stuff as long as its not plugged in lol

chipmunkofdoom2

Okay, here's my basic guide to electricity/wiring. If anyone wants to add something or has any corrections, feel free :)

I'll just explain what you need to know for our purposes since there are too many topics to talk about. Basically, most computer fans are 12 volts DC and draw somewhere between 100 and 300 mA (Newegg.com has a great selection of cheap computer fans, check them out). So, for one fan, you'd need a DC adapter that was at least rated for 12V, 300 mA (as you can see here, most DC adapters clearly list their output). For two fans, it gets tricky because you can wire them either in series or in parallel.

In a series, the wiring is something like what's shown below:

iveb1y.jpg

The positive of the first fan hooks up to the positive of the adapter, then the negative of the first fan gets hooked up to the positive of the second fan, and the negative of the second fan returns to the adapter's negative to complete the circuit. When wired like this, the devices "use up" voltage, and the amperage wouldn't really be effected. So in this case, the first fan would use up 12V, and the second fan would probably not spin, because there's no more voltage supplied by the adapter. In order for this type of wiring to work, you would need a 24v DC adapter. While you can find these, for your purposes, a 12v would probably be more readily available.

For your case though, a parallel circuit would probably be better:

f2rjir.jpg

In this case, the positive lead of both fans would be hooked up to the positive lead of the adapter, and same with the negatives. In this type of circuit, both fans get the same voltage and it's the amperage that gets used up. So, if these fans used up 300mA (.3 amps), then you'd need at least a 12V 600mA adapter. I'd recommend looking for higher amperage than you need, because the excess amperage doesn't get used up. The fans only draw what they need.

I think that's it... let me know if you have any questions or are confused about anything :hallo:

Miltonic

Thanks a lot for the write up, I think I can pretty much understand everything but one question where do would I get the extra wire to split the DC charger? sorry but I never done this kind of stuff before xD

chipmunkofdoom2

No problem!

Well it will likely come with wire already attached to it, but if you mean extra wire to reach from the adapter to the fixture, you could get it at a local hardware store or Lowe's/Home Depot.

Miltonic

im trying to see how I would go about putting the fans in the fixture, it doesnt look like there's much room in there. Screwing the them on the outside looks liek the easiest way to go at it.

chipmunkofdoom2

You could certainly do it that way. They would still move the air. Just get some kind of fan guard or "grill".. it's not fun getting your fingers caught up in a 3,000 RPM fan.... :columbo:

Miltonic

or having my 6 year old brother getting his stuck in the since the tank is about his height. I think I have everything pretty much planned out now now all I need some fans and tools to start working this little project. btw does anyone know of any good 70w mh bulbs I could use?

Miltonic

I have a quick FTS of my nano today I moved my clown last week and today I added a head of my frogspawn and a pink birds nest frag to the tank. Im really thinking about a dding a 10g sump later on and will be replacing the stock bulb of my fixture with the Ushio 70w 20K bulb since the stock bulb doesnt seem to be strong enough.

The rock still looks pretty bare but as more hitchhikers go in from my other tank the rock will start to color up, I also scrape some coralline in the water so it spreads on the the rocks.
10gnano-1.jpg

Miltonic

Thanks Al and tbh I haven't gotten round to ordering the fans or finding a plug for it.

wow the pic is still huge im to have to resize it again.