Mikes 120 gal reef ready build

MJC

Thanks everyone!! Everything hasent been all smooth sailing but I'm still loving it and learning on the way.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
CanuckReefer said:
Your tank is beautiful Mike.

The corals have just enhanced an already amazing scape.

I can only hope that my 120 ends up looking so cool.

I agree! Tank looks great!

And a Welcome to RS! to you!

...."Fish" Happens!....

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Great looking tank, fish, corals and scape. Your pictures are awesome you sure seem to know your way around a camera

tommyboynj

Wow! Really nice tank mike. Fantastic job on the scape. You really thought the whole thing through very well. This is going to mature into a real stunner.

MJC

Over due tank up date pics
TemporaryPoster-5.jpg

TemporaryPoster-4.jpg

TemporaryPoster-6.jpg

TemporaryPoster-3.jpg

e0a76b732205331f3a0f143f8408b155.jpg

10-26-2012-72.jpg

TemporaryPoster-7.jpg

MJC

Absolutely Gorgeous tank Mike - share with us you keys for success :)

What I go by and what has currently worked so far for me.
I'm sure there are manny other ways and by no means am I a expert.

" Water quality, flow, lighting, patience" In that order.

Water Quality:
Stability = My Neptune Apex
140lbs very porous Premium live rock
Live sand
RedSea Pro Salt and test kits(Ca,Alk & Mag), I test twice a week sometimes more and keep a log.
Weekly 15-20% water change, most of the time I vacuum the sanded a little.
(IMOP Water changes are the least expensive and most useful additives you can add to your tank.)
BRS dosing pumps,B-Ionics
Carbon in a reactor.
GFO in a reactor.
Clean up crew.
I have 9 fish and feed every other day mostly pellets some times mysis shrimp and home made chum "sparingly ". "DON'T OVER FEED"

Flow: I like flow and don't want anything to settle on the sand bed.
I have 1 mp40, 2 mp10, & 1 Tunzi 6045 my mp's are set to Nutrient Transport mode.

Lighting: I use Ai Sol Blu's and I like them. I have never used any other lighting other than LED's so I can't comment on other lighting and I'm not about to claim they are the best. I will tell you some corals seem to lighten up when they come from tanks that have Mh or T5's.
I am contemplating a test and adding a T5 purple plus bulb and maybe a antics to supplement the spectrum?

On a side note.
"I like my sps better than my fish"

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Mike for the great reply - these are some excellent tips for everyone (imho) and your tank is a showcase one
1085.gif

Very very nice !

TemporaryPoster-7.jpg

tommyboynj

Thanks mike for the sol setting. I've had mine for about 6 weeks and run them on similar timers at yours but am up to 40/50/50 for my midday setting. I'm gonna try adding a little more royal blue in over the next few weeks.

MJC

Thanks mike for the sol setting. I've had mine for about 6 weeks and run them on similar timers at yours but am up to 40/50/50 for my midday setting. I'm gonna try adding a little more royal blue in over the next few weeks.
Ya Tom I went up on my RB 5% each week