Microbubbles in main tank. Please help!!!!

Mty1986

Hi guys I am new to saltwater. I set up my sump with where water goes into sump is the protein skimmer (euroreef100). I then have three baffle walls (7.5 inches, next 1 inch from bottom, last is 7.25 inches) they are spaced out 1.5 inches. Next is the refuge which is 7-8 inches from 7.25 inch wall to the last wall which is 7 inches. Then is my return pump section (quiet one 4000). I am getting microbubbles like crazy when I turn ball valve on return line all the way open. I have a eshop 1000 overflow which keeps up with pump. The sump is a 20 gallon long aquarium. I have two separate pvc coming from overflow. I need to get rid of these bubbles so I can run my pump all the way open so I can have a turnover of about 10x per hour. I have a 65 gallon display tank.

DaveK

What you need to do is to find the source of your micro bubbles. It could be from your skimmer or from your overflow. It is also possible for it to be from your pump.

Run you pump wide op and let it go for awhile. then look at your refugium section in the sump. If it's clear of micro bubbles, then the issue is with your pump. It's sucking in air at some point. If the refugium section has lots of micro bubbles in it, then the problem is in the skimmer or overflow.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

DaveK

Since the bubbles are in the refugium, you need to trace it back further. It could be your skimmer. You also might be creating more flow than the bubble trap baffles can deal with. Properly installed and uses, they keep the micro bubbles out of the system. You can test that out too. Turn the skimmer off, and see if you still have bubbles. You may need to make some adjustments to that.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
My micro bubbles were caused by too much flow from the overflow. A filter sock took care of that by slowing it down.

Mty1986

I turned off the skimmer still microbubbles. I left the skimmer on and turned down flow on overflow still microbubbles. Am I suppose to have microbubbles.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
There is no reason to have micro bubbles in the tank. You should be able to pin point the source through process of elimination of your equipment. Is the water crashing into where the return pump is? Is the source originating from the flow crashing into the sump from the DT and carrying itself all the way to the return pump for whatever the reason? Is the return pump creating a vortex or too close to the water level in the sump and grabbing small pockets of air and blasting it into the tank?

I turned off the skimmer still microbubbles. I left the skimmer on and turned down flow on overflow still microbubbles. Am I suppose to have microbubbles.

Mty1986

I'm pretty sure it is caused by to much flow through sump. It is only a 20 gallon long. I also just set up the plumbing.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Could it be my pump

Sure it could be but if it were me, I'd confirm where it was coming from. Watch the water flow from the tank through the sump and see if you notice any bubbles making it to the return pump. If they are, then that is the source.

If the return pump is close enough to the water level in the sump, there is a very good chance that it may be grabbing air from the surface and pushing it into the DT. It may not be doing it constantly, but once the micros are in the tank and you have pumps moving water in the DT, it takes a while for those little buggers to float to the surface.

Does that make sense?:)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
That would be a stretch and unlikely.

Do you have any power heads close to the surface on the DT?

Is it definitely coming up from the sump?

Sorry edited:)

Last edited: