Micro Brittle Stars

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think I found a way to know if you have enough MicroBrittle Stars in your tank.
Maybe when you have to put your Mag-Float under the return flow to blow off the stars before you can use it to clean the glass. :D there's plenty in my tank.
null_zps2e01d091.jpg
[/IMG]

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I love it when I find those guys crawling around! That's a great shot!

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
You can never have too many.

Be careful using that magfloat. I stopped using them because sometimes you pick up sand and don't know it and you can scratch your glass.

hobiej

I've heard of these things eating fish....? Is that true? Can they do that, or bad for coral?
One got into my sump, I was cleaning out the sponge in the sink and I saw him go down the drain :( tried to grab it but I wasn't quick enough.
Are they bad or good I guess is my question?? Just so I know for next time.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hey Hobiej :wave:
The MICRO brittle stars are reef safe & they don't get very big. You will sometimes see their tiny arms sticking out if holes in your live rock if you have them in your tank. They are good members of the clean-up crew (CUC). :)

There are some Brittle Stars & Serpent Stars that can grow to 12inches across and are considered reef-safe but semi-aggressive. They might eat a fish if they are hungry & can catch one. :bugout:
You can see pictures and info about them at liveaquaria.com

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The ones I have are tiny white ones, mostly they crawl around after the lights go off.
The stars come out at night :D
null_zpsf2bb6bd2.jpg
[/IMG]
I really don't know how I got SO MANY!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I got them as hitchhikers. I think they multiplied like worse than bunny rabbits in my tanks :LOL:
Just seems like all of a sudden :poof: there was a population explosion of them
I hope they continue to thrive in my tank....getting a refugium added soon & will put some in there also.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I love micro brittle stars! I actually went and added another 15 to my tank yesterday :D Such cool little critters

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Not my lfs, there is an aquaculture store out in Western Australia that sell absolutely amazing corals, clams and a few other goodies and they have a section called ecosystem building and they sell a few things through it so I bought a pack of 10 or 15 micro brittle stars :)
Here's the link to them and the specific section:
http://www.oceanarium.com.au/viewcat.toy?cid=649700