MH "Experts" I Need Your Input

Reef Ghost

I am hoping to have a 250 gal Marineland Deep Dimension tank this fall. It's big, 60"L x 36"D x 27"H. A "normal" light fixture across the top just won't cut it imo, I think I should be looking at 3 if not 4, 150 MH pendents (14K range?) to cover that 36" depth. I think they should be staggered across the length to make sure all 36" get the light it needs. I have no experience with MH so I am hoping those of you here with various MH lighted tanks might help me choose the correct lighting? This tank will replace my 90 gal mixed reef setup and at the same time I am moving the fuge / equipment to the basement. I will be using two rubbermaid 150 gal stock tanks, 1 for the fuge and the other for a sump. Having 300 gal in the cool basement should prevent my needing a chiller. This will be a mixed reef with sps lps corals and carpet anemone.

Thanks!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! Sounds like a SWEET Tank!

Here are my "suggestions"... take them for what their worth!!

• A) I'm not a huge fan of MH so I'd go for an array of high quality T5's with Individual Reflectors instead of MH's.
  • B) If you go MH's you'll want MUCH more than 150W units. They are more for shallower tanks (18" or so). It's usually suggested that 250w is good for 24" deep and since you're pushing down into 27" deep I'd probably opt for more like 400W. I've never had 400W so I'm just guessing here but I'm confident that 150W wont cut it for you
  • C) The light spread on MH units is randomly figured at 24" so you'll want to work out some type of grid/coverage so that your tank is lit left to right and front to back.

Either way we're gonna need LOTS of pics here :)

reef dummy

Big Al is right reef ghost. You need a bit more than 150w mh's, even if you put 5 or 6 on there they wont penetrate deep enough to grow coral at the bottom, although higher placed corals will probably do fine. I have two 250w 14k phoenix bulbs over my 120g and they do a good job penetrating to bottom. I would suggest 4 500w 14k phoenix spaced out appropriately over your aquarium, just my biased opinion though.

Reef Ghost

Well after posting I read some more and was looking at the 250watts, I thought 400's would be over kill? I never had MH before so I really don't know! One thing that is really in mind is just how much more will be added to the elec bill? The LFS states one 250 will add approx $40 a month running it 10hrs. What have you guys found with your tanks?

Big AL: HA! Yes it is a sweet tank, so much room in there for rock work. I honestly can't wait to have it, we are hoping to have it by the end of fall. I am also thrilled to be putting those stock tanks in the basement. That should make things a whole lot easier on water changes etc not to mention controlling heat issues. I have a good relationship with the LFS, keep him stocked with Xenia, so I can have the tank / stand at his cost. >;-)

zy112

I think $40 a month may be exaggerating..at least my bill does not reflect that.

I would go with 3 400 watters IMO

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How much it costs per month really depends on how much you pay for electricity in your area. Some areas are MUCH higher than others. I do know that when I installed my MH/T5 unit my power bill went up about $75/month. Something that has to be taken into consideration is I also added:

2x 300W heaters, Mag18 Return Pump, ASM G3 skimmer, and internal power heads all at the same time. I don't have 250W MH but 150w (2x).

redsea reefer

Does anyone here have any lights from this ATI company? T5 fixture with 800 watts? Nice looking light with very respectable numbers. I know bigal is a fan of T5's.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/Powermodule_Fixtures/ATI_60_inch__10x80W_Powermodule_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

zy112: Do you run 400's? Having only run T5's I cant imagine that much light!

thats a serious light fixture there. I would def get that one... either way, good luck with your tank.

Adam Black

Those dimensions make a great tank! If you haven't bought the tank yet you might consider only going 24inch tall instead of 27. It's very hard to get down to the sandbed in a 24inch tank, I can't imagine doing maintenance in a 27. And you can get away with 250w MH instead of 400. I would even consider doing maybe 22 inches tall. Without a doubt you will want to run full size lumenarcs on this tank. 3 of them should do the trick. Maybe supplement with VHO's to help with those dark corners. This is going to be a mixed reef so 250 will work on 27in, just remember when purchasing corals where there going to go as far as placement. How long have you been in the hobby?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes that's one SERIOUS light fixture.

Will you have an over-flow built into the tank?

Your tank is 36" and this fixture is 21.5"
Dimensions: 58.1" x 21.5" x 2.3" (L x W x H)

How does that work into your plans?

Reef Ghost

That ATI light looks really nice, it would have to hang above and adjust it for coverage. Adam: Getting 3 36" is a smooth idea HA! I really like T5's and this ATI is a serious light fixture ... could prove to be cheaper than MH with a broader coverage? I really need to think this lighting thru before the fall hits.

I am also looking at those external Reeflo pumps, hearing good things about them and supposedly cheap to run?

Thanks for all the input everyone!