Metal Halide Light Brands

travie

I need to replace my MH light, and I don't know what brand I should get that is better. The light that came with my fixture was a no name brand, I believe. I was informed the ballast is a Radionics ballast. If anybody could recommend me a brand or two that is great quality, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for any help.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Brand is VERY subjective (Like Ford vs Chevy but FORD is better).

Phoenix
Radium
AquaMaxx

are just a few. I'm running AquaMaxx right now.

DaveK

I need to replace my MH light, ....

More to the point, why do you need to replace it? Replacement parts are generally available, and most will fit existing fixtures. Once you replace the ballast, and the socket, and maybe a starting capacitor, you have all new electronics.

One last thought, often a MH bulb will go, even though the fixture is ok.

travie

I'm replacing the light bulb, because it went out(hopefully). I have no way of knowing if the wiring or ballast went bad, so I am hoping it was just the bulb. I purchased an AquaMaxx light bulb, it should be here tomorrow. If I like it, I'll buy another one to get a back up if not I'll try another brand.

i would say order one and see. they all produce differnt results. asking this question is so ifffy . its all a matter of opinion. i like my coralvues 14k, im happy with them so i stick with them. jon doe likes reeflux 12ks, so he sticks with them. its all opinion. its that simple. if you see a tank in person, then you can make a judgement call, then you have understand that differnet ballasts can result in differnt colors due to brand of ballasts or how efficient they are.