Merdels RSM 250

merdel

im back to update my thread! sorry its been a while

ill sum up my whole tanks life with 7 pictures in how it progressed and also did not progress (you will see)
things are on the mend though now and every day its getting better

anyway here it is

things started to look good

then the algae hit and hard (this pic doesn't show the worst of it) it was shocking

new scape and started using nopox

things getting better but look at all that dreaded red carpet algae on the center rock and the back wall!

i then bought a tang and within a few weeks you can see the difference

and that's the most up to date pic so far, as mentioned above there was a stage where the algae was so bad it took out a few of my corals including my zoas. I didn't capture the picture as i didn't want to take one of such an ugly tank.
i now have 0 green hair algae, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and did have 0 nitrates though i brought it up a little to keep the corals happy. ive gone with less rock to accommodate more fish

current stock (and im not adding anymore)
2x clowns
1x damsel (trying to get him out, got out the other 3!!!)
1x fire fish goby
1x sand sifter goby
2x anthias
2x bangaii cardinal
1x margined butterfly
1x hippo tang
1x bristle tooth tang

cleanup crew consist of:
1x cleaner shrimp
5x peppermint shrimp
6x trocus snails
2x strombus snails
+ a few hitchhikers

im sure some will think im overstocked though all fish are small and i do understand that the hippo will one day outgrow the tank
i do weekly water changes of 10% and have not lost a single fish

merdel

Hiii guys
Just another fts, Xenia is going nuts and I'm currently fragging and selling back to my lfs.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good to see your UPdate &
Wanted to wish you a
:crowd:HaPpY Tank-A-Versary! :bday1:
I'm sure the LFS doesn't mind you dropping off some Xenia :)
I keep having to tank mine some GSP ;) Are you thinking about needing a larger tank yet? :fishy:

merdel

Again its been ages and i thought id pop another photo up of my tank, I did take a gamble with a flame angel which ate a couple Corals but since then he's been completely fine. I'm going to give growing zoas on the back wall a crack but everything has been slow and steady in this tank due to the ridiculous cost of Corals and fish in Australia!! Eg that little frag of orange zoas on the wall was $25! Both colonies have started to spread to the glass. Couple Corals in this photo just thrown in there atm since I got to figure out where to put them.

Oxylebius

Nice photos.

The mandarin is looking a little thin, looks like bones sticking out on its side. How well is it feeding right now?

Adrienne

Nice photos. Having just gotten back from Surfers, I have to say I was surprised with the price of marines and corals. I had expected them to be cheaper than in NZ but in fact they are about the same. How many and what fish do you have in the tank now?

merdel

Thanks
I do agree he could be fatter, I can only feed once a day but I do target feed frozen food and he eats it directly out of the syringe and a fair bit aswell. Will have to up the food he gets. Had him almost 7 months now

Rekkie

Lovely tank Merdel,

I was lucky enough after been able to feed my mandarin mysis from a syringe that he one day started eating 1mm sinking pellets that i get from Vebas.

Both the Occelated Dragonnet and the Mandarin come to the corner of the tank at feeding time and happily eat the pellets that land on the DSB, after feeding time they both peck at the rocks until the next feed. They still get the weekly feed of mysis when i do the corals but at least i don't have to do it every day now.

Danreef

Very nice tank !!!

And you recover of that ugly algae very fast. I was reading your thread for the first time. I think also that my tang is one of the best addition to my tank. He is pretty, moves all the time and I am sure as soon as he detects an algae, is gone.

Cheers
Daniel