MDK's S650

Leveling the tank and getting the doors just right were definitely a test of my patience as well. I spent about 2 hours making sure it was level. The doors were same thing. I guess I just wanted it to be perfect. I have them perfect now.

My tank did not come with the elbow either. I don't know if it got misplaced since it was a display tank. But the lfs had all of the missing parts shipped directly to my house. Even after I installed the elbow in the sump I still got some bubbles. But it's since stopped. Not sure what did it.

Matt

Choff

I'd call RS and have them send you one, in the meantime a slip 3/4" will do the trick.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I think they are on the light hood but I can't remember. I know it took me forever to find it. I know the light hood has its own serial number as well.

Matt

Mdk16

I have to say I'm absolutely loving this tank. The fish even seem happier.

The 90 degree elbow resolved the return vortex problem although I broke the orange o ring so I used some Teflon tape instead.

Picked up 120lbs of caribsea special grade and will add slowly over the next 2 weeks to avoid a spike.

Some pics.

Mdk16

I'm setting up the skimmer c skim 1800. This one is appears very sensitive. Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly I'd like some feedback please.

I have the skimmer turned to the on position. Skim regulator to low. Valve on elbow to the drain pipe open. The main valve from the return pump is only 1/2 open. Any more flow I'm overflowing the cup. At the moment I have a light skim.

I'm readjusting the back drain now to quiet the system. I'm getting some micro bubbles in the main tank.

Is anyone running more water through the skimmer.

I have my main skimmer supply valve wide open, and use the valve on skimmer drain to adjust bubble height in the skim cup. Below is a pic of my setup.

IMAG0282.jpg

Mdk16

If I open up the main valve all the way I have to close the skimmer air valve to far creating tons of micro bubbles in the tank. I now have the main 3/4 open, regulator on low and air valve on skimmer in the middle. I believe there is a breaking period of a few days

Where do you have your skimmer draining to. Mine drains into the back where the dt drain pipes are. If you drain it into the return pump area you will get tons of bubbles. You may have the old skimmer drain pipe. The new one bends so that you can send it to the back of the sump. I can't tell from your picture. You can see the new updated pipe in this picture. This is not mine but a pic I took of someone else's. can't get a pic of mine right now.

zu4yruma.jpg

Matt

Mdk16

Mine has the same pipe draining to the left of the skimmer. I just reread the manual. I just hooked it up an hour ago. The manual states to adjust the height in the neck with the main pump valve and skimmer air valve wide open. Basically to adjust the height from over skimming with water flow not air. Once it breaks in, increase the flow and adjust with the regulator and air flow. Sounds correct?

It looks like from the pictures that most people keep the regulators closer to low than high.

Mdk16

Thanks for asking and the follow up. When I left for the gym this morning at 530am, I took a look at the skimmer. (wanted to make sure I didn't have a flood) The skim/foam was way low in the neck, appeared to be settling in. I did not adjust further as I did not have the time to monitor it or make all the other adjustments related. I will look tonight when I get home. I had the mainwater supply turned down way low. I'm hoping to increase the flow later tonight and see how it performs. I will keep you posted.

No......just taking a check up on you. Give it a couple of days and things should start looking really good for you. This is a good skimmer and will pull a lot gunk out of the water. Keep us posted.

sent from my HTC Razor using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mdk16

I put together a quick shelf to replace the black sponge filters. I really didn't want to have that nitrate trap in there and was not overly eager to have to buy multiple socks and have to wash them weekly. I've used filter floss in the past with good results. It's cheap and disposable. I've cut multiple 6"x10" piece to replace weekly.

Any thoughts? Concerns?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks like a smart mod, just need to keep up with changing them out.

I hate filter floss. Socks are much better. They fit right around the drain pipe too. Go to filterbags.com and order 25 for like 75 bucks with shipping I think. You can reuse them over and over. You just have to take the time to clean them.

Everyone is different. But filter floss will cost you more in the long run in my opinion. But I could be wrong. It looks cool what you did. Props to ya! It may be filterbags.net. I can't remember.

Matt