Max 250 Chiller Size

ccs

Somewhere in the material I used to make my buying decision Red Sea recommended a 1/10 HP chiller. My tank is running at 83 - 85 degrees, so I decided to bite the bullet prior to stocking the tank. JBJ recommends a minimum of 1/5 with 1/4 the preferred. People, there is a big difference in price between 1/10 and 1/4! Please help me with this decision:whip:

tnwillia

I think there are some members here running 1/10. If I remember it's at the low end of the tank size recomemdations for the 250. If your in a cooler area it might be fine. Here in SC I give my JBJ 1/4 a workout 9 months out of the year. Others will jump in here to help you out. Good luck!

CCS,

I think in my RS manual they recommend a 1/6 hp chiller. I am local to you and have the oceanic 1/6 and would not go with less.

-JOHN

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm using a 1/10 and it works great comes on for short periods then off, definitely doesn't seem under sized.

The LFS where I bought it had a calculator program to figure out the correct size. The calculator he used took into account tank size, pumps, lights, room temp, target temp, and I'm not sure I remember what else. I was ready to buy the 1/4 HP but he assured me I'd be OK with spending less and so far he was right. Not to mention he had both in stock, I would have paid the extra.

I'm not sure if his program was web based or something on his computer...either way I think he knew what the values were for each item.

If you can't find someone to do this calulation for you, the best advice I would have would be to pay attention to how much you need the temp to drop. If you're trying to reach 78.5 from 80.1 I would say the 1/10HP will work...If you're trying to get to 78 from 85 1/10HP won't do it.

jpsika08

When I had my Max250 I bought a JBJ 1/5 worked like a charm. 1/10 I think is too little, good luck

imaccat

I have a D-D DC300 1/15 chiller on my 250, absolutely no problems with it and does a great job.