Max 130d biomedia

Our nitrates have risen a bit in the past few weeks. Between 30 & 40 ppm. I have read that the biomedia (our bag of stones that came withe the red sea max) can cause elevated nitrate levels. Several people have stated that they do not like to use any kind of rock or stone in their filtration area because it can raise the nitrate levels. We have considered removing it for this reason and because we think it may be causing our micro bubbles in the aquarium. I think it may be impeding the flow to the return pumps. We have at least 50 pounds of live rock in the 34 gallon aquarium. Do you think it would hurt to remove the bag of stones altogether and run it without the biomedia? We are also using chemipure in the same chamber on top of the biomedia. Everything else is stock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

The bio-rings do trap debris & cause nitrates - unless as part of your regular maintenance (weekly or bi-weekly) you pull them & take them to the sink & rinse under tap water - I did this for the 1st year, before I removed mine.

Here a simple diy you might be interested in... (direct link to my cod rack) http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/44439-glenns-rsm-130d-24.html#post782512

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us - we love pics :dance:

robboh

With that amount of LR, I don't think you need the bio rings :)
The general consensus seems to be that that they are there for FO setups with minimal LR.

Microbubbles could be flow related but more likely that the pumps need a cleanout, or coming from skimmer, or running water levels too low. Also the return pump inlet tubes being loose can cause this too (I ended up wiring mine on tight)

higgs

im thinking of removing the bio rings on my 130d and just running chemi pure in the back return chamber

Ok. Well it sounds like everyone recommends ditching the ceramic. We do have a ton of live rock in the aquarium already so it's probably not necessary. We will still run chemipure below the pumps and the black mechanical filter at the intake. Thanks for the help. Hopefully this will fix our nitrate issue and micro bubbles. I will also try to tie off the pumps. I know they leak. They're pretty crappy. I actually replace them already. The tank is only 4 months old. I tried to post a pic but it wouldn't let me.