Max 130/D circulation pumps

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

reig3

>>>I have one question though. With 2 pumps we have been able to use one to disturb surface waters and help with skimming and the other to circulate the tank. Now only 1 output. can we put a Y fitting of some sort on this pump to achieve the same?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing about putting a Y and using one for the surface and the other for lower. I did my upgrade, it moves some water!<g>

Bob

Ripperj

Bob is your upgrade pump really loud? I am very disappointed in how much vibration noise mine makes, I spend an hour fussing within, but the pump is so big that it's has to be touching at least one side. You are right it does move a lot of water.

jrbass

Mine is installed and Redsea kev was correct it does a good job of surface movement and tank circulation. I have not had any noise issues with upgrade. No rattling against glass or anything like that. Only issue I had was the size of the cord. Had to snip out the notches in one of the cord routes above the power center to allow it to fit and the lid close properly.

Ripperj

Thanks jrbass, mine is still noisy, but moves a ton of water, I had to add a couple inches to the back chamber. The pumps i removes were the ehiem "upgrade" ( more reliable but move less water than stock)

Ripperj

Not sure why it would matter, but in the interest of full disclosure, I ignored the directions and put the outlet nozzle on the left vice right to clear my level switches.

jrbass

I would say that is the problem because if you look at the directions and the way it says to face the intake of the pump the offset is a perfect fit in the chamber. I would say you are rattling on the glass side of the tank. Anyway to relocate the float switches to accommodate?

Ripperj

The fit is the same either way, I just turned the nozzle 180. The pump was noisy when installed per the directions( before I realized my level switches wouldn't fit.) My pump fills the whole width of the chamber pretty much, is yours the same?

reig3

Ripper, if you were asking me, no mine is not noisy at all. Facing the tank I have mine in the right side hole.

jrbass

The fit is the same either way, I just turned the nozzle 180. The pump was noisy when installed per the directions( before I realized my level switches wouldn't fit.) My pump fills the whole width of the chamber pretty much, is yours the same?

Yeah it pretty much fits tight in the Chamber with the intake facing towards the center of the tank. Maybe give them a call and let them know your issues on the noise. Their customer service is excellent.

just got my new pump today.
it seems to be built alot better than the pumps we had come stock with the tank (USA).
the pump runs quiet, and is compatible with locline
would also like to note that i am still running one of the factory pumps with this as well.
i do not use the factory skimmer however, because of my many issues with it

Last edited:

jimv

I have installed the pump and do not have an issue with noise. I used the space below to install a maxi jet 600 pump for a reactor.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Folks, just to reiterate a previous post, we do not recommend using an old pump alongside the upgraded pump, by increasing the flow through the rear chamber you will affect the performance of the skimmer regardless of brand, it will reduce the residual contact time of the water with the skimmer simply pushing organic content back into the aquarium to be oxidised and not giving the skimmer chance to remove it.

The air to water ratio within a protein skimmer is very important as it the contact time of the water passing the skimmer for collection, it can also reduce the water height in the rear chamber which again will impact on the performance of the skimmer.

davej

Installed mine a week ago.
Moves a TON of water.
In-fact for me and my zoa dominated tank it moves too much water and blasts the heck out of my zoa's.
Changed back to the stock pumps last night, whole tank breathed a sigh of relief. ( I think)
I use a ATO so microbubbles is never an issue, water level is always perfect. Best thing ever for one of these tanks.

srinds

Installed mine. Disappointed. Seems to move less water, and more low flow areas based on the growth of cyano.
Also less coral movements. And less surface skimming.
Disappionting.
Will go back to 2 pumps this weekend.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Installed mine. Disappointed. Seems to move less water, and more low flow areas based on the growth of cyano.
Also less coral movements. And less surface skimming.
Disappionting.
Will go back to 2 pumps this weekend.

Srinds, please contact me directly on uk.info@redseafish.com before reverting back to the old pumps, there is an underlying reason why you will be suffering from Cyano and this will certainly NOT be related to the new pump.

jrbass

For those who have installed their new pump can you post a pic of what direction you have it pointed. I still have an issue with surface movement as I can see that thin whit film on the top of the water and not being pushed towards the skimmer very well. If I raise it then it washes over the glass front lip in the tank. Since it is compatible with Loc Line then could we use a Y fitting and run 2 outs to hit surface and also display tank? RedSeaKev?

For those who have installed their new pump can you post a pic of what direction you have it pointed. I still have an issue with surface movement as I can see that thin whit film on the top of the water and not being pushed towards the skimmer very well. If I raise it then it washes over the glass front lip in the tank. Since it is compatible with Loc Line then could we use a Y fitting and run 2 outs to hit surface and also display tank? RedSeaKev?

have the same problem with the film on top even with running an additional pump with a Y splitter and one side aimed at surface. although i gave up on the surface skimmer long ago. it is just too bulky.

i was able to try the new pump also with a Y splitter and seems to work fine.

so if you still have the surface skimmer, and the loc line, go for it.

jrbass

have the same problem with the film on top even with running an additional pump with a Y splitter and one side aimed at surface. although i gave up on the surface skimmer long ago. it is just too bulky.

i was able to try the new pump also with a Y splitter and seems to work fine.

so if you still have the surface skimmer, and the loc line, go for it.

I have and found it to work out great!

Where in St. Louis are you? I am in O'Fallon.