Matt's RSM 130D Adventure

mattreidy

I'm pretty sure now that it was the nem's tentacles brushing up against the blue tort that killed it. My LFS had this blue tort colony and many other SPS colonies in a stock 250 with great success, so I don't think it was the lack of lights...

I just picked up a Montipora Capricornis frag today and placed it in the top 1/3 of the tank so I'll see how it does. I hope it's not another $30 down the tubes like the blue tort was - at least I learned my lesson about the nem. I wasn't thinking when I put them so close together...

mattreidy

Here's the new monti. I had no idea how brittle/fragile it is. Like a thin potato chip. A piece broke off when I was mounting it so I just stuck it in the epoxy.

IMG_3749.JPG

Love that picture of the clowns and tang. My fish definitely know when it is feeding time. I like to turn off my pumps when I feed them, especially if I am spot feeding corals. As soon as the pumps turn off, everybody comes out to eat. Good stuff.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Pretty new monti !

My LFS had this blue tort colony and many other SPS colonies in a stock 250 with great success, so I don't think it was the lack of lights...

The RSM 250 is running 6 x 39W T5 vs the RSM 130/130D 2x 55w in my 130D I didn't have near the sps success.

But the good news for me was my favorite corals are lps :dance: and I have had great success with them in all my RSM tanks (and softies).

wscttwolfe

Matt, the 250 lighting is stronger than the 130D lighting. I had a birdsnest, which is a 'moderate' lighting requirement SPS go brown under the stock 130D lighting. Once I switched to LED, it was amazing how fast it turned bright pink

mattreidy

Matt, the 250 lighting is stronger than the 130D lighting. I had a birdsnest, which is a 'moderate' lighting requirement SPS go brown under the stock 130D lighting. Once I switched to LED, it was amazing how fast it turned bright pink

I think I'll wait on LED until I get a larger tank. Famous last words, perhaps, but this isn't as hard as I expected. I'm enjoying the fish and inverts more than I expected too, so I want MORE SPACE. When I move up, I think I'll take my MP10, add another VorTech or two and use EcoTech's Radion LEDs. By then, maybe the prices will have come down a bit due to more competition. :wave:

mattreidy

I picked up a Halloween urchin at the LFS today.
IMG_3759.JPG

The tank is doing well - I'll have to take a good full tank picture and post it soon...

mattreidy

Here's a video of the tank from today. About 100 days old and doing really well.
[video=youtube_share;N4bF9OKccZ4]http://youtu.be/N4bF9OKccZ4?hd=1[/video]

mattreidy

What do you think about adding a long horn cowfish to my tank? The LFS has one and it is so odd looking I want it... See my sig for tank contents. I'm wondering if the tangs would be too aggressive for it or if anyone here has experience with one. I don't want to kill it or overstock the 130. Thanks!

I would keep it simple Matt... Especially because you have tangs... Don't put any stress on them.... They get stress very easily.
I tried them twice and never had any luck. Chromis are peaceful and they swin toguether.