Matts 500 gallon funhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Office tanks r tough. Ur not really able to admire n take the time necessary to make them thrive. I'm debating getting a 40 from brandon or building mine outta 1/2 inch pre drilled glass.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Willie McDaries

dang it Matt,that's a major bummer dude...if I were to guess,I'd say that was bumped accidentally though,there's no other reason for it to just break with it only having the bulkhead and no other plumbing on it,looks like a good time to take 2 40g tanks apart and make 1 though...

it don't take much to snap that thin glass,I broke a 30g breeder while putting my 360 into place,I just grazed the drain pipe with my leg and it popped,that is the reason I suggested you use flex drain lines a few days ago

dmatt88

dang it Matt,that's a major bummer dude...if I were to guess,I'd say that was bumped accidentally though,there's no other reason for it to just break with it only having the bulkhead and no other plumbing on it,looks like a good time to take 2 40g tanks apart and make 1 though...

it don't take much to snap that thin glass,I broke a 30g breeder while putting my 360 into place,I just grazed the drain pipe with my leg and it popped,that is the reason I suggested you use flex drain lines a few days ago

Boy man that's a good idea just I'm really leaning on just building a rimless 40 out of 1/2 inch. Drilled from the shop. I do clean silicone

Willie McDaries

Boy man that's a good idea just I'm really leaning on just building a rimless 40 out of 1/2 inch. Drilled from the shop. I do clean silicone

no doubt in my mind you can build a better,stronger,sexier tank than any store bought 40b....if you build it with 1/2" glass,you could go rimless and have an ultra sexy 40b too :D I think I'd do a cube though,something like a 24"x24"x24" rimless if I were gonna do it from scratch :D

dmatt88

Dude. Ur killing me. I was trying to use the 40 stand n hood but hmmmmm. 3'x3' 24 high.

dmatt88

Course 24" is the universal one light system.

Built347

Dude that sucks!.. im on the "tank got bumped" boat.. no way bulkhead did that. N no way u overtightened it.. not with that suspect in the last break.. I like the idea of rimless.. more money but it sure does get the wow effect even on small tanks. Sorry man..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Funlad3

Matt, wanna do my realistic-dream project? Buy two 55 gallons, take out all of the long viewing panels, buy a 4'x4' base, and go crazy. 4x4x2 for 240 Gallons and 100% awesomeness. :D

Willie McDaries

Dude. Ur killing me. I was trying to use the 40 stand n hood but hmmmmm. 3'x3' 24 high.

3'x3' 24 high sounds even better,the stand is wood,wood is easily resized or rebuilt :D

Course 24" is the universal one light system.

that was why I mentioned 24x24x24,you might could even go to 30x30x24 :D

Willie McDaries

Matt, wanna do my realistic-dream project? Buy two 55 gallons, take out all of the long viewing panels, buy a 4'x4' base, and go crazy. 4x4x2 for 240 Gallons and 100% awesomeness. :D

don't waste your money on the 2 55s,just buy all the glass sides when you buy the 4x4 base,go low iron on all 4 sides and set it up in the center of the room,have all the edges polished and go rimless,use solar tubes and LEDs for lighting,all closed loop water movement,drilled and installed through the bottom,center overflow and all plumbing hidden by rockwork.....no powerheads in the tank and nothing but pure awesomeness to look at :D

DanSReef

don't waste your money on the 2 55s,just buy all the glass sides when you buy the 4x4 base,go low iron on all 4 sides and set it up in the center of the room,have all the edges polished and go rimless,use solar tubes and LEDs for lighting,all closed loop water movement,drilled and installed through the bottom,center overflow and all plumbing hidden by rockwork.....no powerheads in the tank and nothing but pure awesomeness to look at :D

Nice.... That would be pretty cool........

Funlad3

If I had the money, that would be the plan, but 1/4" thickness starfire costs $11/square foot, so at $88 per panel, I couldn't justify the cost. And I would get away with 1/4" glass by wrapping wood around all edges of the tank, including the top. It would be an encased reef. Put it in the middle of a room, put a 2' ledge around the base of the tank on all sides, add some bar stools and a tall stand, and you're in business. :D

sk8rdn

Matt, just my 2 cents here, but its damn near impossible to break a sheet of 3/4 plywood with a bulk head, no matter how many holes you drill. Plus you could take apart either of the 40s to use as a front window. Recycling. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.