Matts 500 gallon funhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua_digital

RS Sponsor
I will be away from the 27th for a week, wife enfored recovery program after my surgery, but will have the old slap stop with me and can reply to any requirements from my lounger ;)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
This thing made my hair stand on end. Shocked the hell outta me. Well the hair statement is figuratively speaking. I hate when that happens.

photobucket-1860-1329442318926.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Willie McDaries

This thing made my hair stand on end. Shocked the hell outta me. Well the hair statement is figuratively speaking. I hate when that happens.

photobucket-1860-1329442318926.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Matt,toss that dang thing,and any more of them you have,in the garbage,I had 1 that blew the top off,luckily,my sump is plywood not glass...I wouldn't trust a stealth heated as far as I could throw it,but mine was 6 or 7 years old

edit: oh and Matt,I owe you an apology,I read your post and it took me about 5 minutes until I quit laughing before I could reply...sorry :LOL:

danewell

Text from Matt as I drive to Daytona. "Just shocked the f*** outta myself. Whoa" I was nice enough to edit.

Haha. Sorry buddy.

Text two:

"The water. Then upon further digging it was the heater on the bottom. It was a mild shock til I pulled it outta the water them whammee almost made me pee"

Dean is concerned with what project Matt will come up with next.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
What I'm saying is a powerstrip is not a GFI. If it was and your heater was plugged into it, it would have tripped. If you don't have your strips plugged into a GFI your not protected. Your entire fish room should be GFI protected. The reasons why are endless.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
So how does one overcome this? Replace all outlets? I have 30 things to.plug in n 4 wall outlets.

I'm Matt n I hate heaters.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ah, I'm so glad you asked and if I may be so bold to say I'm also so glad were still chatting together.
No need to change all the outlets as long as they are all on thesame breaker...MATT ASKS..."how do I know that?". Make sure every outlet within the room shuts down when you flip the correct breaker off in your panel box. If that happens then you only need to replace one outlet but it needs to be the first outlet that receives juice from the panel. In other words your power comes into the room and goes to one outlet and then that outlet is feeding the rest. GFI the supply outlet and the rest are also GFI protected. No need to replace all.

Willie McDaries

So how does one overcome this? Replace all outlets? I have 30 things to.plug in n 4 wall outlets.

I'm Matt n I hate heaters.

if I remember correctly,they make a GFCI breaker to replace your standard breaker with that will protect all the receptacles on that circuit,check your breaker box to see what type breaker it has and check with Lowes or HD to see if they carry it

Willie McDaries

Ah, I'm so glad you asked and if I may be so bold to say I'm also so glad were still chatting together.
No need to change all the outlets as long as they are all on thesame breaker...MATT ASKS..."how do I know that?". Make sure every outlet within the room shuts down when you flip the correct breaker off in your panel box. If that happens then you only need to replace one outlet but it needs to be the first outlet that receives juice from the panel. In other words your power comes into the room and goes to one outlet and then that outlet is feeding the rest. GFI the supply outlet and the rest are also GFI protected. No need to replace all.

that will work if the circuit is ran in series,if it is wired like my house,it wouldn't work,all of my plug ins are ran to a junction box,then to the breaker box

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
if I remember correctly,they make a GFCI breaker to replace your standard breaker with that will protect all the receptacles on that circuit,check your breaker box to see what type breaker it has and check with Lowes or HD to see if they carry it

They do and I'll give you at least 2 reasons why I would highly recommend against them.

Number one...they are very very fickle and tend to over react (too sensitive) esp if you panel is any where it could possibly be damp. Garage, basement...trip trip

Number 2...it involves installing it into your main panel where the cool amps hang out, 220 volts producing up to 200 amps aint no tank heater.

yankieman

that will work if the circuit is ran in series,if it is wired like my house,it wouldn't work,all of my plug ins are ran to a junction box,then to the breaker box

if you installed a GFI between the junction box and breaker it would protect everything behind it ,, I havnt heard of GFI breakers but that would work too

Status
Not open for further replies.